Burman clutch

Tug Wilson

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Fit for purpose means that the item/product should be expected to perform its function correctly , ie. connect/disengage drive as and when required when operating lever is pulled/released, smoothly and cleanly. Cork inserts are no longer available. I do not expect the spares company to stock numerous clutch plates or other items, but with their interface with the producers I do expect an item to work correctly for a standard machine! If you only show a machine does it need a clutch:
In the dark recesses of my shed I think I have a box of cork inserts from the 60's If they are sound should I put them on fleabay or keep until my Comet corks fail?

Len Matthews

VOC Member
I am more concerned with the clutch plates sticking while riding and changing gear, than when the bake is inactive. From the replies to my original post, it can only be concluded that the friction material used is not fit for purpose in a wet clutch! These problems never occurred with material used back in the 1950/60s (I was their). I would have thought that with all of the technical knowledge within the club membership and the power and connections that the VOC spares company have within the industry that a correct fit for purpose friction material could be found. After all this problem does not exist with modern bike clutches (Honda etc) ! Why! Derek.
The original friction material used by Burman was a kind of woven fabric that didn't cause the problems mentioned. On the other hand a Comet I was working on had trouble with sticking plates so an alternative supplier was approached. He said his plates didn't stick and he was right. This assumes that there must be different materials being available. Some research required perhaps?

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Hello Derek, I am also in the Vintage Club, If you want to turn the clock back, There is a bloke doing " Natural Cork Inserts " £12 a plate or sprocket, + postage, He is in Sussex, Email mike@corkclutch.co.uk I don't know him and I have not used him, Good Luck, Bill.

vibrac

VOC Member
What a paragon of a man! fancy drinking all that wine just to give us a good friction material

Matty

VOC Member
I have had my Comet for 58 years and use it all the time. I normally expect to free it each day by pulling in the lever an giving the kick start a kick. My clutch plates have not been changed since the 50s and have done around 80000 miles and are of the woven variety of insert. I use 20/50 engine oil in the chain case.
The material only extends a few thou each side of the plates and always looks worn out but works fine.
First gear usually goes in quietly when cold but crunches in unless on very slow tick over when hot.

Hope this may help.

Matty