BTH magneto thread

redbloke1956

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Hi Guys, can anyone tell me if the ATD retaining/removal nut on a Comet magneto will/should fit directly on to a Brand new BTH Electronic magneto?

Kevin

A-BCD

Non-VOC Member
Yes it will, and if you make up a plate like this to lock the ATD on full advance ( remove the 2 small springs ), you don't need to buy a new pinion or remove the timing chest cover !!
atdplate.jpg

redbloke1956

Non-VOC Member
Yes it will, and if you make up a plate like this to lock the ATD on full advance ( remove the 2 small springs ), you don't need to buy a new pinion or remove the timing chest cover !!
atdplate.jpg
Thanks mate, I eventually managed to get it to fit and discovered another issue, when the ATD is pushed firmly onto the taper of the BTH mag, the pinion is almost 1/4" below the level of the small idler, I assume the taper has worn over the years or been lapped to the original magneto shaft too many times.
Is there anywhere I can get a new tapered section of the ATD or do I replace the whole thing?
I see no spares for this in the spares diagrams?
Kevin

A-BCD

Non-VOC Member
VOC Spares company have PR22/BTH which is a new pinion and nut with the correct taper. Job done !!

redbloke1956

Non-VOC Member
VOC Spares company have PR22/BTH which is a new pinion and nut with the correct taper. Job done !!

Ok, well done, you got me...where did you find the part No.....am I looking in the wrong places?
All I use for parts searching is the MO1, MO2 etc and look in the area I think the part will be, I could not find a diagram with a breakdown of the Magneto or pinion.

Thanks Very Much....much appreciated
Kevin

A-BCD

Non-VOC Member
See MO39 for magneto parts !! As the ATD was a Lucas part it isn't shown so clearly, but is listed as ET48/AS, and together with the magneto is PR22/AS !!

b'knighted

VOC Member
Hi Brian, as you obviously have the parts list at your fingertips can you tell me anything about any of these sheets.

I don't appear to have any of the following drawings.

MO 4 - 8 inc
MO20 / 23 / 24
MO 26 - 29 inc
MO 31 - MO 34 - MO 40
MO 42 - 44 inc
MO 47 - 61 inc
MO 67 - 89 inc
MO 92 - 102 inc
MO 105 - -106
MO 108 - 109

Anything after MO 110

Cheers,

A-BCD

Non-VOC Member
Hi Ian,

MO6 - FITTING OF KICKSTART RETURN AND STOP SPRING
MO7 PINNING OF LOCKRING IN GEARBOX COVER PLATE
MO23 LOCKING OF GEARBOX COVER SCREWS AND SELECTOR PAWL PLUG
MO24 BRAKE PLATE WATER EXCLUDER
MO28 CLUTCH - ADJUSTMENT
MO34 WIRING DIAGRAM
MO40 MISCELLANEOUS COMPONENTS
MO43 PANNIER EQUIPMENT AND LONG REAR FOOTRESTS
MO44 FITTING OF PANNIER EQUIPMENT
MO76 REAR DAMPER
MO77 REAR DAMPER
MO93 SERIES D PRIMARY DRIVE
MO106 SERIES D BRAKES

Someone I'm sure has a complete set or a list - maybe Arthur Farrow or Derek Sayer ??

Cheers, Brian