Brough 1150

Keith Martin

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
We are working on a 1934 Brough 1150 with a B&D sprung frame. The bike came with some new reproduction fenders and luggage rack. However the parts must be for a non sprung frame as none of it comes close to fitting. Does anyone have access to photos or parts to fit this Brough? The Brough Club is helpful but I can not find much information on the B&D frame.

vibrac

VOC Member
Bentley and Draper (this is from the BS club site /www.broughsuperiorclub.com this was dated 1928 If the sprung frame is slightly familiar then it would be interesting to know what came first, the chicken (HRD) or the egg (B&D)? whatever it certainly wasn't Yamaha in the 70's

1661786783079.png

Chris Launders

VOC Member
Bentley and Draper (this is from the BS club site /www.broughsuperiorclub.com this was dated 1928 If the sprung frame is slightly familiar then it would be interesting to know what came first, the chicken (HRD) or the egg (B&D)? whatever it certainly wasn't Yamaha in the 70's

View attachment 52932
The first mention I have found of Bentley & Draper rear suspension is 1923, however it's operation is different to the HRD in that there is a pivot where the top tube joins the Axle bracket and so just transmits the movement and is not part of the "swinging arm" structure.

Chris Launders

VOC Member
We are working on a 1934 Brough 1150 with a B&D sprung frame. The bike came with some new reproduction fenders and luggage rack. However the parts must be for a non sprung frame as none of it comes close to fitting. Does anyone have access to photos or parts to fit this Brough? The Brough Club is helpful but I can not find much information on the B&D frame.
Who did you contact in the Brough Superior Club, if you contact Mike Leatherdale on 01908 510130 and talk to him he may be able to put you in touch with a member who has a B&D 1150, Mike does not use the internet and would have to seek the owners permission before passing any information on.

They are a friendly club, they even let me in !!

I have a friend with a 1930 (I think) B&D SS 80 but whether the parts are the same or similar I do not know.

I have just found a picture of a 1934 B&D 1150 in a book, I don't think it will be much use but I will try and photograph it and send you a PM.

Unfortunately my 1150 is a rigid.

Chris