Breakdown cover in UK

danno

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Hi
I’ve recently been stuck out twice in my local city on my BMW’s. 1st time was a flat battery
on my R60/6 just before Christmas and then again today with a rear puncture on my R1100RS.
I’m in the AA but on both occasions, contacting them and communication was a shambles.
Used to be able to talk to someone but seems to be automated now
With no luck there and again on both occasions, I happened to see an AA van when walking to nearby shops on the retail park.
Managed to get me on the move again both times but only by chance sightings.
I received £25 compensation for the flat battery after complaining. Will do again for the puncture.
If I got stuck out on my Rapide C, I’d be worried.
Years ago, they’d use a flat back truck or a rectractable attachment for bikes.
Just wondering what roadside assistance or breakdown cover owners use.
I have multi bike cover with Carole Nash but not sure if that includes breakdown.
Any help appreciated.

Peter Holmes

VOC Member
In my experience breakdown cover is utterly appalling, I had it as part of my Footman James policy, at the time they were using the RAC.

Early on last year on a glorious day we decided to visit Stoke Bruerne, one of the last legs of the fantastic 99 Int Rally, on the way home, late afternoon I picked up a screw through through my brand new tyre and tube, with obvious results.

Immediately my wife was concerned, she had fairly recently just gone onto a targeted drug therapy for leukaemia (CLL) and her drugs were back at home.

But I was not concerned, after all we had full roadside recovery, when I rang them the telephone handler was great, used “just three words” to pinpoint our location, and I think she was able to do this using my mobile phone signal, all very reassuring, even more so when she asked if we had any medical conditions that would prioritise our recovery, obviously the answer was yes.

After about 4 hours, and numerous phone calls later, and with Sue now climbing the walls, I bit the bullet and asked a good friend of mine to pick Sue up a get her home ASAP, which was great, probably a 100 mile round trip for him, a good friend indeed.

I continued to wait for about another hour, now turning chilly and pitch black, I had chosen a cross country back lane route home, then a cretin from the RAC calls me to inform me that he was on his way soon, but due to the overwhelming pressure of calls that evening he would not be able to fulfil the contract of me and motorcycle being fully recovered, they would have to get my bike to an unspecified storage facility, and then hire a taxi to take me home, leaving me to sort out the bike whenever.

Well that was never going to happen, and I told him so in no uncertain terms, and told him to cancel the call out and not to bother
He was sort of apologetic in a conciliatory sort of way.
I was quite willing to sleep beside the bike on the grass verge and wait till daybreak.

But my Son became aware of my predicament and immediately set off from Sonning Eye in his panel van to get me and the bike home, which was a great relief, isn’t it wonderful to have great kids, but I do let him ride my Vincent’s when he wants.

So what did I learn, well lots really, if you are on important medication, do not leave home without it, don’t rely on any recovery service, especially if it is with the RAC, never leave home without some method of fixing a puncture, and then inflating the tyre afterwards.

All in all a truly dreadful experience, in protest I changed my insurance company whom I been with for literally years, But whom ever I am with, I would never rely on a recovery service again.

Last edited:
G

Graham Smith

I've been with just The AA and Green Flag over the years.

My experience with The AA was pretty good. Having filled our diesel car up with petrol on the way home from an AGM, they recovered us home, so we could get ourselves sorted without having to pay an extortionate rate.

Green Flag wasn't so good. On the way home from a North Kent Section meeting, I went down a pothole on the A2, and the tyre split open. Not having a spare, I called out Green Flag and I ended up sitting at the side of the road waiting to be recovered for four hours. Not impressed!

Another time (after the last GCM), Josh was driving me home in Sally's car and all the dash lights came on. Without wishing to bore you with the details, we ended up getting relayed home on three different breakdown trucks and we eventually got home about 0200hrs. A nine hour journey that should've taken about two. Again not good.

Personally, I don't think any of them are fantastic. They do everything to a price, and if you catch them on a day when they've got nothing else on, you'll think the service is great. Sadly, if you need them when they're busy, you could be in for a long wait like I was.

Peter Holmes

VOC Member
I might be being unrealistic, but I think they should be held to account, they really should be able to give you a time slot, even if it is 2-3 hours, and then be held to it, there were cases in the press not long after my recent experience whereby quite old and frail people were left at the roadside for 9 hours I seem to remember, disgraceful.

Peter Holmes

VOC Member
I've been with just The AA and Green Flag over the years.

My experience with The AA was pretty good. Having filled our diesel car up with petrol on the way home from an AGM, they recovered us home, so we could get ourselves sorted without having to pay an extortionate rate.

Green Flag wasn't so good. On the way home from a North Kent Section meeting, I went down a pothole on the A2, and the tyre split open. Not having a spare, I called out Green Flag and I ended up sitting at the side of the road waiting to be recovered for four hours. Not impressed!

Another time (after the last GCM), Josh was driving me home in Sally's car and all the dash lights came on. Without wishing to bore you with the details, we ended up getting relayed home on three different breakdown trucks and we eventually got home about 0200hrs. A nine hour journey that should've taken about two. Again not good.

Personally, I don't think any of them are fantastic. They do everything to a price, and if you catch them on a day when they've got nothing else on, you'll think the service is great. Sadly, if you need them when they're busy, you could be in for a long wait like I was.
My good friend Hugo Myatt has told me in past that you were at the roadside with a problem, having left a West London meet a few years ago, I think he stopped to offer help, what did you do that day?

vibrac

VOC Member
My only experience and worthwhile lesson was after my trials outfit stopped in the wilds of Northamptonshire. Never on any account when placing your rescue call refer to the outfit as a motorcycle and sidecar call it a three wheeler you cannot load a sidecar outfit on a solo motorcycle carrier. No-one at the AA has a clue what a sidecar is.

G

Graham Smith

I was literally a couple of miles from the West London Section day meet and got a puncture and didn't have a spare tube.

Actually, looking back on it, my track record's not that great is it?! :D

Marcus Bowden

VOC Hon. Overseas Representative
VOC Member
Great having large enough pannier to carry tools and two spare tubes 21 & 18"with 58 years with the bike and bike relayed twice home from Ireland in 2007 and continued to Liverpool with Ken Smith on Camita's bike then picked up the "A" Rapide from Peter Bell then onto IOM 2007 annual rally . Then Collumpton whilst on Camita's bike both occasions it was ignition (electronic variety) and I'm not an electronics person. Repaired more items for other people whilst on the road what with soldering cables silver soldering unions or supplying chain spring links.