FF: Forks Brampton steering stem bearing service

craig

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Pulled Rapide front tire 3.00x20 to service squealing brake shoes.
Found tiny amount of wheel bearing grease had made it out to shoes on right side.
Grabbed forks to check for looseness and found too much.

What is the procedure for pulling these Bramptons for headrace service.
Don't want an upgrade. #321, ¼" steel balls are fine for now.

20210714_SteeringStemBrg.jpg

craig

VOC Member
My plan is to disassemble, inspect and replace races and or balls, grease and reassemble.

Anyone done this recently?
Tips? best plan?
Thank you
Craig

ernie

VOC Assistant Secretary
VOC Member
You have to pre-load the spring and strap it up with rope or several strong cable ties between the lower front spindle and the rear upper. Otherwise it all flies apart. Then you can undo the pad bolts and upper nut. But think carefully whether you really need to dismantle this rather than just tighten the head races a tad.
My plan is to disassemble, inspect and replace races and or balls, grease and reassemble.

Anyone done this recently?
Tips? best plan?
Thank you
Craig

timetraveller

VOC Member
If you adjust as I wrote above and then rotate the forks you can check for roughness, indicative of damaged balls or races. If all is correct with no roughness then think carefully before you take it apart. Ernie's advice might save you some damage

craig

VOC Member
Looks like part of my slop is due to worn links at top.
Upper front spindle FT218, Link FT213L and R and nut.
Any suppliers for these?
FT213R/L

Maybe just retightened to high torque to try and alleviate?

MO30BramptonLinks.jpg

Last edited:

roy the mechanic

VOC Member
I recently changed the head bearings on an a meteor. If they are as similar as it looks, watch out at "full droop" the veloot spring fouls the bottom of the head casting . The little darling chewed the paint off! Take time, photograph it so you can assemble easier.