FF: Forks Brampton fork with coilover suspension unit.

Vincent Brake

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I have set it up so the top link, when 15 mm in the spring, (being me up) is just under level, than there is still 70 mm to go:) for the high sleeping policeman

Oldhaven

VOC Member
I won't be (too) repetitive, but there is a lot of information on Bramptons with WP/Thornton coil over at:

https://www.vincentownersclub.co.uk/index.php?threads/brampton-coil-over-damper.8316/post-72876

This modification has always been pretty much up to the individual owner to adapt, though Robert Watson did provide a pretty complete kit in the beginning. The use of the headlight stay lug , even with the nice addition of the hook over the spring seat, made some nervous, so that put an end to that. When I bought my damper the mounting was up to me and I got some great advice from Dave Molloy and Ted Leno. No one has ever had a failure of that lug, and I went for a simpler mounting system using just it. The travel is not huge, and in fact Dave modified mine with an internal machined stop to decrease the travel of the rear coil over that was used, so I don't ever get into theoretically bad link angles and do not have interference problems with the forks due to over travel. I had to buy and modify the clevises/bolts and bushings, and it was a lot of work, but it all turned out well and I am very satisfied. Looking at Vincent's install, I think it would have been better and cheaper if I had machined my own mounts from scratch. I also offset the hole in the upper clevis for clearance, since it is all a pretty tight to fit. Another change was to use the balance beam pivot to mount the lower headlight stays, since I did not like that they had to account for the slight rotation of the damper pivot. This lowered the headlight shell about an inch, and that was fine by me for instrument and switch clearance, but longer lower stays could have kept a more standard appearance.
I wonder if anyone will take over the Works Performance tooling and whatever left over inventory there is? I suppose there are equally as good options now, but not for Bramptons.

Ron

mercurycrest

VOC Member
I wonder if anyone will take over the Works Performance tooling and whatever left over inventory there is? I suppose there are equally as good options now, but not for Bramptons.
Ron

KONI did a conversion for Bramptons years ago. It was a 76 series type, #1237.. The problem was you brazed/welded it to the lower spring mount. That could easily be changed to a clevis mount attached to the H/L lug by a manufacturer. I wonder if IKON Shocks would be interested making new #1237's?
John

Vincent Brake

VOC Member
I wonder who made mine? I got it on a NA rally (Mt st Helens) it was from California, Its fitted to the alpabet twin
It has a neat set of mounting plates and studs that enable the existing spring anchor to be retained and does not just rely on what was a head lamp bracket
View attachment 18385
you scare me just a bit vibrac, i guess i will weld up a bit of metal under the headlamp lug towards the front fender/balance beam lug.:eek:

vibrac

VOC Member
you scare me just a bit vibrac, i guess i will weld up a bit of metal under the headlamp lug towards the front fender/balance beam lug.:eek:
Here is some details of the bottom and top locators Hope that helps
1513621897593.png
1513621954693.png
1513622248696.png

Albervin

VOC Member
My home made coil over consists of a Koni with modified body for adjusting spring pre-load. It was originally designed by elder statesman Bob Satterly in the 1980s. I had IKON have a play with springs and damping rates. Upper fastening is as per the original spring and lower fastening is the headlamp bracket. The lower link has a re-inforcement welded on and this has survived without a problem for many thousands of Km including dirt roads and bush tracks. Possibly the most comfortable Vincent front end I have ever ridden. I do use a 21" front wheel too.

Vincent Brake

VOC Member
My home made coil over consists of a Koni with modified body for adjusting spring pre-load. It was originally designed by elder statesman Bob Satterly in the 1980s. I had IKON have a play with springs and damping rates. Upper fastening is as per the original spring and lower fastening is the headlamp bracket. The lower link has a re-inforcement welded on and this has survived without a problem for many thousands of Km including dirt roads and bush tracks. Possibly the most comfortable Vincent front end I have ever ridden. I do use a 21" front wheel too.
any pix please Alyn?

Vincent Brake

VOC Member
Thanx, seen Them Alyn, but non from the lug at the girder itself, you left it standard, or did you weld up some from the underside?