FF: Forks Brampton fork bushings

Marcus Bowden

VOC Hon. Overseas Representative
VOC Member
Ernie my handsome, bushes are adequate for the normal life of a normal machine, but Vincent's have this unique aesthetically pleasing design in a limited addition (the limited addition wasn't planned) and they are still used by some & collected by others for investment, "A's" had no bushes in their forks even, greased steel casting & steel spindles. We can just machine out and fit bushes satisfactory, but bearings need a little more meat around to secure them. Girdraulics not a problem with better proportions around bushes, can be opened up and Torrington crowded needle rollers fitted with radial thrusts at the ends & seals so all can be supplied with capillary tubes with string to each spindle housing terminating at an oiling pot. Forever sealed with the correct medium for free motion.
Lubrication is essential throughout life's situations.
HOW DOES ONE EXIST WITH OUT A LATHE , MILL & DRILL, with out these I honestly couldn't afford to use my bike.
bananaman

greg brillus

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I'm sure small needle rollers could be installed and "O" rings used to seal the ends. One point of interest is that it can be hard to stop a certain amount of play from the spindle to the bearing. I found this when I did this set up on the racer's Girdraulics. When the new Titanium spindles were passed through the bore of each needle roller, there was perhaps more running clearance than if the original bushes were used. You could grab the lower ends of the fork blades and feel the play in the links, and this you could feel at low engine speed you could feel the vibrations shaking the front end. I use to make a point of holding slight pressure on the front brake to stop this happening. If you are using stainless spindles, perhaps you might want to go to steel ones that might not wear as fast. These are available from Neal Videan at V3 products. Cheers..............Greg.

vibrac

VOC Member
Teflon bushes and titanium spindles get my vote for the ultimate but on the alphabet twin I would be happy with "push en in a bit further and add an o ring" Good idea

greg brillus

VOC Member
I remember when I was making up the spindles for the racer, and several of the other members who took an interest expressed that they would be interested in some of these for their bikes ...........That was until I told them how expensive they were after buying the material and then having them machined. At the time I think the cost of materials, plus the 3 spindles, front and rear axles, swingarm spindle, and perhaps one other for the footrest through stud was well in excess of $1000..............:eek:............Are there still any takers.............

vibrac

VOC Member
I used to have a footrest spindle stud with a 1/8th hole right through the middle I guess it was thick wall tube...

ernie

VOC Assistant Secretary
VOC Member
I can get a 1/2 X 5/8 X 1/2" roller cage for £14 which should fit.Pop an o-ring in the end is no problem. Should fit on the existing hole?

Vincent Brake

VOC Member
this is how it looks, for those whom are, might be intrested, A Lathe
n stuff
2016-01-19 16.42.56.jpg