VOC Member
Hi everyone
Brake plates, are these good or ruined?
3DC0B267-A0E0-40B6-9488-9042FC4261EE.jpeg
488A7D1F-7EC3-4FA2-81D3-4CEF449C76E1.jpeg

Peter Holmes

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I think Doug Hollis first suggested this brake plate mod, but perhaps someone even sooner than Doug, it looks to be a very good welding job, as long as there is no distortion they should be fine, obviously the bracing was supposed to eliminate or minimise flexing, also overcome with Magnesium or Aluminium brake plates, the only downside is you are unlikely to win a concourse competition, if that bothers you.

Chris Marshall

VOC Member
I think Doug Hollis first suggested this brake plate mod, but perhaps someone even sooner than Doug, it looks to be a very good welding job, as long as there is no distortion they should be fine, obviously the bracing was supposed to eliminate or minimise flexing, also overcome with Magnesium or Aluminium brake plates, the only downside is you are unlikely to win a concourse competition, if that bothers you.
Hi Peter
Thanks for that, they are in perfect condition, but I have other ones fitted to my bikes so they are surplus, I don’t think I’ve seen any before!

Peter Holmes

VOC Member
In their current state only one plate will be usable as a front brake as there is no speedo drive cut out on one or other of the plates.

oexing

VOC Member
When thinking about this mod I don´t see so much use for stiffening the brake lever bush in the plate. All force you introduce into the plate is the small amount of the wire pull from the handlebar, only a few hundred pounds or kilograms of force. Yes, not the correct units here , myself too old to handle proper newer units. Instead I´d rather do some welding around the brake shoe anchors and external torque pins that are subjected to actual brake forces and maybe distort plates from this effect ? Just thinking, no own experiences with these brakes . . .

Vic