Brake Plate Centering.

Howard

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Just a point to add to this discussion. I have Laverda SF brakes, probably the end of drum brake development, and while not in the same class as discs, they are very good brakes.

My point is, to the best of my knowledge, nothing floats.

H

Tom Gaynor

VOC Member
SF stands for Super Freni - super brakes! I have one too, and intend putting it on the Comet. How did you get round a speedo drive? Got any pix? (sunbeam42@live.co.uk if it makes it easier)
I've not yet looked inside the SF, and have no original spindle to try it on, but will take your word for it that it doesn't float. It is however 2LS, and 1) there is a means of adjusting it such that the leading edges both hit at the same moment and 2) unlike an SLS brake, the shoes should wear evenly. With an SLS brake it seems highly likely (I've not actually measured one) that the heavily loaded leading shoe wears fastest, and the less worn trailing shoe will sooner or later make contact first. Float would therefore partly compensate for this. It seems a reasonable assumption that that is why Robinson's Seeley 2 x SLS brake has a link to the trailing shoe. (As noted below I haven't seen inside one for 35 years, so while I remember there is a linkage, have no recollection of how it was supposed to work. What I do know is that it is a very good brake, still widely used among classic racers.)
FWIW, my 210 mm Menani 4-shoe brake was a snug fit on the spindle, no apparent float. It was as good as a disc except that because the lever comes back as it heats up it wasn't as controllable as a disc. The disc has the huge racing advantage that there are no extraneous influences on a linear "lever pull vs stopping effort" relationship.
This bike is some way from completion, so no tearing hurry.

Howard

VOC Member
Tom

Pics on email.

Take your point re 1LS vs 2LS wear.

Isn't memory strange? I just realised I fitted this wheel in Girdraulics many moons ago, and I can't think that it needed any mods - must have had a brake stay.

H