H: Hubs, Wheels and Tyres Borrani Rims

erik

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Is it a good idea to drill two small holes in the rib of the rim to let the trapped water escape?

Attachments

• IMG_5818[1].JPG
    IMG_5818[1].JPG
    330.7 KB · Views: 45

Marcus Bowden

VOC Hon. Overseas Representative
VOC Member
Don't see why not Erik so long as they are at the root facing down hill when at the bottom 5mm would be good but then parking is critical.

vibrac

VOC Member
It dont happen with me on the rear as the water flings off because the wells are full of' R'

(not really :) )

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Don't think so, Alloy rims are weaker than steel,
Don't want to make it worse ?.
Cheers Bill.

The old BMW wheels were known for being easy damaged.

Phil Hogg

Forum User
VOC Member
Good morning Eric,
I have an old 72 V7 Guzzi with Borrani rims, each flange has four 3mm holes drilled at 90 degree intervals in it to let the water escape from the root of the well. It came to me like this from Holland years ago, never been a problem, the rims are still true and its a dam site heavier than a Vincent.
Best Philip.

oexing

VOC Member
I would not think the alu rims were weaker than steel rims, at least they don´t rot inside the bead - which you don´t see for a long time till the side cracks. Late BMW Weinmanns are very close to Italian rims, just a different spoke pattern plus safety pressings that are meant to keep the tire on the rim . In photo below the second from top is Weinmann, see safety pressings. Top is Japanese, third is Borrani, bottom type is BMW 250 Weinmann minimum flanged alu with safety pressings.
Anyway, my procedures were to dry the rims after rain trips in the garage, so no dull spots. But then , my rain trips were a thing from the past to be open.

Vic
P1090134.JPG

P1090144.JPG