Black Shadow with buggered numbers.

Chris Launders

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
My engine has the mating numbers repeated inside the timing cover and primary cover, is this normal, if so they could still be there.

greg brillus

VOC Member
Mating numbers should be on primary, timing and genny drive cover, as the outer edges of these covers were linished to suit the case shape. A term referred to as "Fettling" was the process. I feel like I am constantly fettling when I work on these bikes..............:)

Jeb

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Hello All...
Thanks for all the input. The bike is an actual Black Shadow. The bike is disassembled and needs major engine work, with a bad crank and bearing area. The owners looking to get 45,000.00 I`ve spoken with Glenn B here in the states and he figures around 20,000. US to rebuild the engine. Too much money for a bike that`s always going to be a mystery.

Cheers
Jeb

Albervin

VOC Member
Hello All...
Thanks for all the input. The bike is an actual Black Shadow. The bike is disassembled and needs major engine work, with a bad crank and bearing area. The owners looking to get 45,000.00 I`ve spoken with Glenn B here in the states and he figures around 20,000. US to rebuild the engine. Too much money for a bike that`s always going to be a mystery.

Cheers
Jeb
The other issue is what else?? When you say the "bike" is a Black Shadow, does that mean that the RFM, UFM and engine are all Black Shadow? There is a bike for sale in Australia that is under no cloud. It is a good running Shadow but the frame and engine do not match. It is available for AUD$105,000. If you look at what you have noted then reality needs to bite and that is a sand sandwich.

ClassicBiker

VOC Member
Evidently there is something that has not been revealed on this forum by the machine registrar. Which is fine, I trust why he doesn't want whatever it is common knowledge. Now knowing whatever it is and what the cost of a rebuild is likely to be, the decision is can you live with the knowledge revealed to you by the machine registrar and the likely cost of a rebuild? If you can, then use the your new found knowledge to see if you can't strike a bargain with the current owner.
If the information makes the purchase a little dodgy or means that someone in the future can lay claim to the machine after you have invest time and money in it. Run, run far, run fast, don't look back. Another will turn up.
Steven

Simon Dinsdale

VOC Machine Registrar
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Basically I am not willing to discuss a bikes numbers on a public forum. I have had an email conversation with Jeb and he knows my opinion based on the information provided and he appears to have made a decision based on that.
I have to keep what tools and info I use confidential otherwise that info can be used by the undesirables to whatever means they decide.

Simon

ClassicBiker

VOC Member
Basically I am not willing to discuss a bikes numbers on a public forum. I have had an email conversation with Jeb and he knows my opinion based on the information provided and he appears to have made a decision based on that.
I have to keep what tools and info I use confidential otherwise that info can be used by the undesirables to whatever means they decide.

Simon
Simon,
I'm not asking nor suggesting that you should discuss numbers on a public forum. I believe I understand why you keep that info confidential and I support that. I'm also not suggesting that Jeb reveal what info you passed along to him on this or any forum. All I am saying is armed with that info he must decide whether that info helps him in his negotiations for the purchase or is a big red warning flag and he should walk away from the bike.
Steven