Black shadow in the rain

Jim Richardson

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Sounds like my run back from Portsmouth 2 years ago, it started as I came off the ferry and rained like it couldn't keep that bad for more than a couple of minutes, for all of the 2 hour run home, I couldn't believe that the bike would keep running, but it never missed a beat, then sat ticking over happily on the drive. What I did find was that it had sucked a lot of water into the oil and it was completely coffee coloured, so I had to do an oil change.

clevtrev

VOC Member
Does anyone know of an outlet for this particular Sidi Onroad boot in the UK? Online I can only find them supplied from overseas (USA?). I will not buy a boot unless I can try them on first to check the size for comfort and fit.
I think they`re called `Wellingtons`, never let me down yet.

Albervin

VOC Member
Wellingtons will keep you dry and that is all. They are not warm, do not give good feel of brake and gear pedal and will offer no crash protection (even if they are not ripped off in the crash). My experience has been mixed when it comes to wet weather gear. My Aerostich Roadcrafter suit used to be 100% waterproof in driving rain on 10-12 hour rides but after 12 years I would rate it at 90%. This is still better than most new stuff out there. My BMW boots have had a massive failure with the sole separating from the upper so are as waterproof as a pair of socks. I have just ordered a pair of TCX Infiniti GTX boots and hope I get more than the 7 years I got out of the BMW boots.

Monkeypants

Non-VOC Member
here is how the Sidi Onroad came out in a test against 11 other Waterproof Motorcycle boots . Some of the expensive Waterproof boots tested gained up to 3 pounds of waterweight during the test! The Onroads are no longer made with Sympatex, the lining is Gortex now. Hopefully they are still as waterproof as ever. These are very comfortable boots, quite nice to walk in. My feet have never been cold riding in these, right down to around zero C and snow falling, however they do get a little warm in hot summer weather. Can't have it both ways I suppose. Price is more like $350, I don't recall ever seeing them for $230. Glen SIDI ON ROAD SYMPATEX BOOTS $230

This is it. The only boot among our contenders that actually deserves to be advertised as 100 percent waterproof. Even after all the other boots had reached the point of saturation, the On Road remained impervious. Out of curiosity, we left them in the tub for an additional 12 hours and still nothing -- not even a hint of dampness inside. And unlike some of the other boots, the Sidis didn't trap water between the leather and lining, proving that the seams work beautifully too. After 12 hours the boot did weigh an additional three ounces, which was probably due to water held in the leather itself. The On Road was in the tub for a full 24 hours, yet it was still dry before two-thirds of its competitors -- all of which had an extra 12 hours on the drying table. It did transfer some dye when wet, though.

This is an impressive motorcycle boot in many other ways. The On Road's Italian top-grain leather is treated to be oil-resistant as well as water-resistant for easy cleaning, yet the whole, fully lined package is breathable enough to be comfortable in hot weather, even when you're wearing thick socks. The toe/shifter area is reinforced with an additional layer of leather, and soft, padded leather inserts at the front and back of the ankle provide immediate flexibility. The shin area receives additional padding for impact protection.

The On Road's look is a bit different from the other boots we tested. It's tall (12.5 inches) and uses four hook-and-loop adjustable straps drawn through plastic eyelets for closure. It's a bit of a soft-core, endurance-style look and almost everyone tends to think "Mad Max" when they see them. These ain't no sissy boots, and the performance backs up the stout looks.

Sidi's impressive and impervious On Road boots are available in sizes 5 through 13 for approximately $230.

Read more: http://www.motorcyclecruiser.com/ac...oof_motorcycle_boot_comparison/#ixzz2Xtk757E0

Last edited:

John Cone

VOC Member
Over the years i have tried all sorts of boots but nothing comes up better than the original Derry Boots, wellies that look like motorcycle boots.

vibrac

VOC Member
Over the years i have tried all sorts of boots but nothing comes up better than the original Derry Boots, wellies that look like motorcycle boots.

So did I till I slipped on grass in the rain and cracked a rib! the lack of a separate heel makes them difficult.
So riding yes walking no -and dont hit a tree with your foot -no protection

ogrilp400

Non-VOC Member
G'day Alyn,
I have had a number of boots, both motorcycle and work boots, separate from the sole. Tried different adhesives and finally found that Sikaflex 227 worked very well. Lather it on and clamp the boot down for a day or two.

Wellingtons will keep you dry and that is all. They are not warm, do not give good feel of brake and gear pedal and will offer no crash protection (even if they are not ripped off in the crash). My experience has been mixed when it comes to wet weather gear. My Aerostich Roadcrafter suit used to be 100% waterproof in driving rain on 10-12 hour rides but after 12 years I would rate it at 90%. This is still better than most new stuff out there. My BMW boots have had a massive failure with the sole separating from the upper so are as waterproof as a pair of socks. I have just ordered a pair of TCX Infiniti GTX boots and hope I get more than the 7 years I got out of the BMW boots.