SL: Series 'D' Enclosures Black Prince Seat Height

tom wilson

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Hi I shall soon become a new owner of a Black Prince .... cannot wait. I only have a 29" inside leg and I would love to lower the seat height, I would have thought some Vincent owner out there has reduced the seat height .... I cannot be the only short legged owner! What would/will be the best way to lower it without affecting the handling ... shorter spring, softer spring, multi tension spring or can the spring mounting points be lowered etc. Does someone out there has the answer? No I do not want to wear platform boots or carry ladders etc.

Gary Gittleson

VOC Member
I don't think Chris's gadget, however clever it most likely is (he's a pretty creative fellow), would be necessary. The damper has a rubber bumper that slides on the plunger. I can move it easily to the beginning of travel and check its position after a ride. As of right now it doesn't seem to have bottomed, despite my sense that it did so.

Based on your comment here, I'll change to the midway position in damping before taking my test ride today.

vibrac

VOC Member
I am just about to take my rear coil over (today I hope) from the racer to the AVO counter to get a stronger spring and revalve the range (its at its stiffest maximum now) if possible in the time before the next race I will let you know how I get on
Well that was a worthwhile Visit! I walked in the factory man appeared looked at my burden and said "Vincent" we discussed the unit he noted the position of the tie wrap on the piston rod fresh from Cadwell and its now away getting a stronger spring and increasing the damping range he knows when our next race date is and can fit the work in. Very impressed.

Chris Launders

VOC Member
Here's a picture of the thing I made to measure rear travel at the shocker, a rod that was a reasonable fit it the tube, an eye on each end and a cable tie. it's not quite that simple as you have to play about with the lengths to make sure you have enough space for it to telescope but not too much that they become separated.

1626974514497.png

Chris Launders

VOC Member
The advantage with the external one I fitted was that it could be viewed, measured and reset without fiddling about, in fact without dismounting if I remember correctly.

Gary Gittleson

VOC Member
So I discovered that there was practically no pre-load on the spring as set by the factory. The nylon grub screw was loose and after one turn of the ring in the loosening direction, there was no further tension on the ring. It could be easily turned with two fingers. So approximately how many turns should I tighten it for a starting point?

I did find that with 10 clicks on the damper setting, the extra bounce on rebound is under control.

Gary Gittleson

VOC Member
After a nice ride yesterday, I can now report that with four turns of preload of the the adjuster ring and 15 clicks on the damping adjuster, the ride is very pleasant indeed. That's four turns of the ring from the starting point where there's no resistance to turning the ring. It was maybe one turn into preload as set by the factory.

So now, there's no rebound bounce and no bottoming out.

tom wilson

VOC Member
After a nice ride yesterday, I can now report that with four turns of preload of the the adjuster ring and 15 clicks on the damping adjuster, the ride is very pleasant indeed. That's four turns of the ring from the starting point where there's no resistance to turning the ring. It was maybe one turn into preload as set by the factory.

So now, there's no rebound bounce and no bottoming out.
Hi Gary thanks for the info I have my new AVO ready to go, I will try your settings and see how it performs. My Black Prince will be delivered this week ..... I am like a child waiting for ...... Christmas