Big oil pump worry on a Rapide, HELP PLEASE

Peter Holmes

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
If the bike is fitted with a twin start oil pump worm gear, that can sometimes cause oil to leak from the oil tank cap, but that is caused by the high pressure of the oil return creating a splash, it appears to be overflowing but it it is only a splash effect, not excess oil in the system.

Alyson

VOC Member
if the oil is over filling, then it must not be flowing to the engine. If all was well, then it would flow out and flow back in and all would be good. There must be a blockage somewhere... check the feed pipe to the engine.

oexing

VOC Member
But then, with a new dry engine you never fill up the oil tank to the brim. Instead maybe 2/3 full ? So even with no feed into the engine there cannot be a condition of overflow out the filler neck ?
My guess: There was once a problem of oil return into oil tank so someone had the idea to add more oil for correct level. Only later the return got working again and now all total oil was returned to overfeed the tank by a lot.

Vic

chankly bore

Non-VOC Member
Check the stop valve in the feed pipe as well. Then check other things like some blockage in the oil filter chamber, flow to OP9/2 oil quill etc. My guess though is migration from the primary case. Overfilling the tank is the easiest way to turn Rapide crankcases black.

Monkeypants

Non-VOC Member
I had something like this happen with my Rapide. After a full winter of sitting, the oil in the tank wasn't visible, which could mean its down a quart, or a lot more. I didn't bother dipping to check, instead assumed there was a lot of oil in the sump. I removed the drain plug but only a small amount of oil came out.
With the plug back in the sump I added enough oil to the tank to bring the level up to where it should be.
That took two quarts, which seemed a lot as I don't usually let it get that low.
On start up I had oil everywhere as the sump pumped out and the tank overflowed.
I guess there was a hydraulic suction lock happening when trying to drain the thick cold oil from the sump. Kind of like an inverted ketchup bottle that won't flow until you give it a wallop on the side.

Glen

kerry

VOC Member
I had something like this happen with my Rapide. After a full winter of sitting, the oil in the tank wasn't visible, which could mean its down a quart, or a lot more. I didn't bother dipping to check, instead assumed there was a lot of oil in the sump. I removed the drain plug but only a small amount of oil came out.
With the plug back in the sump I added enough oil to the tank to bring the level up to where it should be.
That took two quarts, which seemed a lot as I don't usually let it get that low.
On start up I had oil everywhere as the sump pumped out and the tank overflowed.
I guess there was a hydraulic suction lock happening when trying to drain the thick cold oil from the sump. Kind of like an inverted ketchup bottle that won't flow until you give it a wallop on the side.

Glen
Update, I drained the sump again, in the correct place, LH side Brass Screw, only a little came out. Today dry weather and he took it out with the oil level 3" below the top.
Strangely everything seems fine now but it certainly was not before, so he took it home, all seems alright now, very strange.
Thank you everyone for the suggestions