bicycle computer speedometer

tractorman414

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Aerostitch sells the Sigma 1609 as a motorcycle speedo that will go to 199 mph. I would see if I could find it at a discount.

http://www.aerostich.com/electronics/speedometers-tachometers-computers/sigma-speedometer.html

David

Hi David, I looked at Sigma 1609 on ebay for £25 , e-mailed chinese seller and response was OK to 99kph. noted that the logo on the Chinese units is to the RHS. The unit from Aerostich has the logo in the centre, and as you say, Aerostich claim 199mph and sell to motorcyclists. So for $45 plus $10 p&p, I have placed order with Aerostich. I'll let you know how I get on.

Bernard

Martyn Goodwin

Non-VOC Member
Bicycle computers have been used on motorcycles for years, below is a review I wrote over 10 years ago. I recomment you use either a SIGMA brand BC509
http://www.sigmasport.com/en/produkte/bikecomputer/topline_2009_wired/bc509/?punkt=features
- that does NOT have any backlighting - and is designed for push bikes.

OR

If you MUST have backlighting then there is the VAPOR brand designed specifically for motorbikes -
http://trailtech.net/vapor.html
it is backlit and also includes a Tach function - but it is a tad more expensive and does need a 6 or 12 volt connection to the bike. Heck - just remembered its for your Vincent so damb the price, go for the Vapor!

Irrespective of your decision do NOT use a wireless bicycle computer as a Vincents ignition pulses will send it haywire!

Just in case, here is my review of the Sigma system.

===================================================================
Mounting a Digital Trip Computer

By Martyn Goodwin, Melbourne Section

The speedo fitted to any bike or scooter is a compromise based on the tyre fitted by the bike maker as new. As soon as the tyre starts to wear or if you replace it with anything else then the original the speedo calibration becomes suspect. Fitting a digital bicycle computer allows you to correct for this error plus it provides a lot more functionality. You can use any bicycle computer however the SIGMA unit has been used by many motorcyclists with a lot of success.

The SIGMA unit offers the following features:

• Speedo to 300kpm
  • Trip distance accurate to 10 metres
  • 24 hour Clock
  • Odometer, logs up to 99,999 Km
  • Riding Time – auto start/stop stop watch tracks actual riding time
  • Max Speed
  • Average speed
  • Comparison - actual to average.

You should be able to buy any of the Sigma bicycle computers from just about any mainstream bicycle store.

It must be pointed out that the operating environment on a motor cycle is far LESS harsh than experienced on a bicycle, so robustness of the unit is not in question.

OK so what do you need? Head off to your local bicycle store and purchase a SIGMA BC509, bicycle computer. You also need a small amount of high strength double sided tape – an auto accessory store or your local auto repair shop can help here. You will also need about a dozen thin cable ties plus you may also need a length of microphone cable – more on this later.

These computers all work the same way. The sensor is always some form of magnetic switch and each time that the switch closes (by a passing magnet) it activates a pulse inside the computer. The sensor mounts on the front fork and the magnet mounts on the wheel. Now – the itty bitty magnet that comes with the computer is just that – itty bitty gutless, ok for a bicycle where speeds are low and its easy to adjust the space between the sensor and the magnet but rather hopeless on a motor bike. I attacked a cheap set of compact headphones (not the in ear bud type) and salvaged the voice coil magnets. These things are about 1cm in diam and just a few mm thick and boy are they strong magnets. An even better solution is to purchase a small rare earth magnet from your local Radio Shack or Tandy store

About that microphone cable. It may be that the cable between the sensor unit and the computer mount as supplied is not long enough for your installation – and this was the case for me. What I did was cut the original cable about 12 inches away from both the sensor and the computer mount then soldered in a length of microphone cable. I used very thin heat shrink tube to insulate each conductor (microphone cable is a form of very very flexible coaxial cable – i.e. it is two conductor) then put a slightly larger diam heat shrink over the lot. I chose to use microphone cable because it is very flexible and also has a strong outer covering.

Preparing for the install. The sensor that comes with the unit is in 2 parts – a holder that is meant to attach to the bicycle fork and the sensor that locks into the holder. Separate the two and throw that holder gizmo into the trash can right now. Grab a pair of side cutters then remove from the back of the sensor those dinky mounting lugs. Next get a small file – we are about to cut some location groves into the ‘face’ of the sensor to locate thin cable ties ( oh, you are going to need a few thin cable ties – if at any time you think that they are not long enough , remember- they can be joined together).

Once you have removed the lugs from the back of the sensor and cut the shallow location groves in the front of the sensor, put the double sided tape on the back of it and trim the tape to size. Do not remove the outer protective tape layer just yet!

It is now time to turn your attention to the other end of the cable – the computer mount.

When you sit on your bike I want you to look at all possible mounting points. You may be able to mount the unit around the bars, just like on a bicycle. You will most likely need to come up with another solution.

After this you can mount the computer holder to your bike.

You now need to feed the cable (connecting the computer mount to the sensor) down so that you can mount the sensor on the fork . If your bike is fitted with a fairing you may need to remove some fairing parts in order to do this.

Do not stick the sensor down just yet!

Now for the magnet, it mounts close to the inside edge of the front wheel. I applied a small daub of epoxy to the back of the magnet – just in case. Hey, before you do the same put the magnet on the wheel and then spin the front wheel to ensure that the magnet does not hit on the fork – if it does hit the fork you need to seek out a thinner magnet.

Once you have the magnet in place you can remove the cover tape from the double sided stuff you put on the back of the sensor then put that sensor into position. It does not need to be at 90 degrees to the magnet – on my install its about 45 degrees and all works fine –be sure to check that when you spin the wheel that the magnet does not hit the sensor. Make sure that the white alignment mark on the sensor lines up with the centre of the magnet – this is important for correct operation of the sensor. Also position the sensor so that if it breaks loose (God forbid) it will not be jammed between the fork and the wheel. If you mount it above the axle then it must go on the front side of the fork – below the axle it must go on the rear of the fork. All depends on your bike.

All done? Well wrap a couple of thin cable ties around the sensor/fork leg as insurance against the mounting tape failing. Use those spare cable ties to tidy everything up, ensuring that the sensor cable cannot foul the wheel etc.

You now need to calibrate the computer – detailed instructions are included with the computer so just follow them.

And do not even think of removing your speedo cable in order to keep your bike or scooter seemingly ever young!

tractorman414

VOC Member
Hi

thanks MartynG, excellent detailed information. I thought an undate from Sigma might be useful, below is a response on maximum speed.

Hello

The BC range only goes to 99.99 mph/kmh.

You really need the MC8 which goes to 186mph, this is available through Motohaus Marketing, 01256 704909.

Regards

Bill Nichols

From: "biker.bernard@tesco.net" <biker.bernard@tesco.net>
To: billnichols1@btinternet.com
Sent: Tuesday, 3 July 2012, 19:12
Subject: Anfrage von bernard jones 端ber www.sigmasport.com

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------- Anfrage 端ber www.sigmasport.com ------------------
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

99 mph is fine for me

Bernard

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Thats strange, Bernard, I use Sigma Sport Bc 800, I have three, And on the box it says up to 300 kmh-183mph, Cheers Bill.

Martyn Goodwin

Non-VOC Member
Thats strange, Bernard, I use Sigma Sport Bc 800, I have three, And on the box it says up to 300 kmh-183mph, Cheers Bill.

In fairness to all I must point out that the BC800 series is no longer in production - the nearest to it in production today is the BC509 which goes up to 99.9 mph or 99.9kph.

Current Sigma production that is suitable, if you want more speed than that, is the MC8.

Oh, the ravages of time and product rationalisation continues to make a mockery of our past experiences!

Of course - its always possible to find NOS in some bicycle stores!

Martyn