Misc: Electrical (General) Best Battery 6V ?

Robert Watson

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Hi Alyson.
I have a few running with sealed batteries that fit in the original boxes (barely) and works very well. When you stop by for the clutch drum I can show you one.......

I'm away for a couple of days but I think they are 10 or 12 Ah

oexing

VOC Member
Robert, you mean sealed lead batteries ? I had these for many years but they don´t take vibrations or long periods of no use well, so this is one of the reasons why I look elsewhere, no more sealed lead types. Weight and space is another aspect where the LiFePo4 are very attractive, very lightweight and small to drop them into old accu boxes.

Vic

Alyson

VOC Member
Hi Alyson.
I have a few running with sealed batteries that fit in the original boxes (barely) and works very well. When you stop by for the clutch drum I can show you one.......

I'm away for a couple of days but I think they are 10 or 12 Ah
Hi Robert, I'll get a hold of you next time I'm passing your way. Thanks !

Speedtwin

VOC Member
Motobat do six volter which fits in the battery box good quality unit ,AGM seems resistant to vibration.
I have used couple of cheap sealed units which displayed 6.1 volts but where bad, had been shaken to bits inside when put under load test failed.
But looked okay on the meter.

KickstartProds

New Forum User
VOC Member
I was about to buy a new Yuasa B38 6v 13 Ah lead acid battery, but instead found that by performing about 5 cycles of charging during the day followed by discharging at night, the battery was restored to over 6v. Firstly I topped up the acid to the full levels with distilled water from my dehumidifier. Then I charged using a trickle charger from morning to just before bedtime. Then I connected the battery to the bike and left the parking lights (tungsten filament bulbs) on until the morning. That was the first cycle. After repeated cycles, the battery was able to retain the normal voltage of about 6.5v.
Also, I found that wrapping the semi transparent battery in black gaffer tape, leaving a window for the acid levels, looked fine.
One other thing; when reconnecting the terminals from the loom and replacing the battery in position on it’s carrier, be very careful to prevent the chromed strap from accidentally touching the positive terminal which is very close indeed!

mercurycrest

VOC Member
The *!@?# battery in my bike does not have enough power to make the horn do more than squeek like a mouse. I've had the horn out to clean the points et al, and it's much louder with the 6V battery charger (low amp) than in the bike. The charging system works, so I'm figuring it's the dinky toy sized battery that just does not have the umph to do what's needed. It came with the bike and now it's time to replace it with something more substantial. My bike is 6 volts, nothing extra other than lights and horn(s). I'm thinking of twinning my horn to two horns. What should I look for ? Thanks in advance, Alyson
Yuasa B-38 6A. Used 'em for over 40 years on my D and A with no problems.

oexing

VOC Member
The one and only Yuasa battery for 40 years - unbelievable !
Or rather you replace them in periods ??

Vic

oexing

VOC Member
Thanks, yes, but used "them" on two bikes. So next question then: At what kind of periods for exchanging them ? I had them , well, cheap types, on a few bikes. But my problem with them is vibration and low use - long periods of sitting in garage. So I decided on the LiFePo4 cells and they so far proved to be great in these respects, replacable cells as well. With lead batteries not so, once something is broken you bin them anyway.

Vic

Vinthou

Active Forum User
VOC Member
I have used a pair of 6v Cyclon sealed batteries wired in parallel for about 11 years. If left fully charged, they do not discharge over winter, and do fit into a replica Lucas case. One caveat - if left discharged for a period of time they seem to loose the ability to take a full charge. I bought a new set once and left them for a couple of years, only to find that they would not charge properly.