Bent Series ‘B’ Kickstart Lever

medat727

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I have an older stainless steel "B" series kickstart lever that has been bent at the upper sharp radius. I'd like to know what is the best way to straighten this type of cast stainless, heat it, or bend it cold? Thanks in advance.

vibrac

VOC Member
With great care I don't think it's something I would risk too many horror stories about broken kick-starts and the human skeleton and muscle

medat727

VOC Member
B Kick Starters are made using Martinsitic SS . For straightening heat to a bright Red colour, then bend to where you want it. After straightening reheat and bury in Lime to cool.

Viny4, thanks for this, can I just reheat the affected area before burying or do I need to reheat the entire lever?

medat727

VOC Member
Are you sure that the bend should not be there? Series B K/S levers are not the same shape as series C levers.
Robin.

Robin, a logical guestion as they are quite different, the bike is a 1953 C Shadow but it is definitely a "B" kicker, I didn't figure out that it was stainless until I had the chrome removed to fix the tweak. It has been bent back and in, tried uploading a picture without success, not severe damage but it is noticeable.

Last edited by a moderator:

Cyborg

VOC Member
Can some kind soul tell me why the B and C kick start levers are different? I'm building a B from bits and the kickstart lever is NOS and I suspect it is for a C. I haven't got to the point where it can be installed yet, but hope it will wok without modification.

Dinny

VOC Member
I have a C kickstart on a B and it works fine. I do have a small spacer behind the kickstart on the shaft so it clears the silencer but that maybe due to the replica exhaust.

If you want to swop a B kickstart for a C I might be interested.

Mark