H: Hubs, Wheels and Tyres Balance Beam/Long Cable

fogrider

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
New long cable made up and fitted, outer sheath some 7" shorter than the original - thanks Simon for very clear and helpful photo's. Whilst refitting the cables, I noticed there was quite a bit of wire needling just under and inside the adjuster on the short cable. Also replaced.
Lovely cable action now and has cured the poor centralising into the bargain.

alan wright

VOC Member
New long cable made up and fitted, outer sheath some 7" shorter than the original - thanks Simon for very clear and helpful photo's. Whilst refitting the cables, I noticed there was quite a bit of wire needling just under and inside the adjuster on the short cable. Also replaced.
Lovely cable action now and has cured the poor centralising into the bargain.
Bonjour, very interesting and just in time as I am removing my front brake cable to fit a stop light switch and it will be a good opportunity to shorten it to fit on the right hand side of the balance beam (after thirty years of it being on the WRONG ? side ) . I will tell my cable man to "lose" 7 inches. I have a 48 Rapide on Bramptons.
Regards, Alan

fogrider

VOC Member
Just in case there are some different cables about, the outer sheath was shortened to 16. 1/2 " (420mm )
with the end nipples still to fit.
Exactly the same amount has to be cut off the inner, but I offered up the nearly finished long cable anyway to check the inner length would be right before cutting it down, just a precaution after an error made "when ah were a lad ".
There's not a massive range of adjustment, it paid to measure and draw the original lengths and fittings so the new would be sure to fit OK.
I think the shorter outer must reduce friction inside the cable, plus both inner and outer were full of kinks anyway.