Avon tyres to be produced by Nova Motorsport

Colin

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I do love an optimist, but of course you are 100% correct, for the time being we can still get decent tyres if we are willing to compromise on standard rim sizes, even just changing to Series D and B + C Touring sizes, well that was the case a couple of years ago, unless things have changed since then, was anyone that actually riding their bikes still using Avon Speedmasters anyway?
Yes Me!

Alyson

VOC Member
when I had my '30 Harley 74" flathead, I rode that with original tires, at that time they were at least 75 years old. Original wiring harness, the only thing new in that bike was the oil and gas. Never bothered me but I didn't take it far. 50 miles or so just cruising around. Loved every minute on that bike. I have a 20" Avon in my basement sitting in the dark room. I bought that about a year ago, hopefully it'll last till I need it. I figure I got about 20-30 more years to go here so it should last.

Speedtwin

VOC Member
Spoke to a friend who is a tyre tech he recommended wrapping them in brown paper putting them in a cool dark place such as the loft he reckoned they could last for years.

As Peter mentioned above seems sunlight is the enemy.

I use the Avon Roadrider AM tyres look like a modern tyre performance is brilliant.
Recently put a set on the Shadow which was on speedmaster transformed it.

Stock seems okay at the moment around the UK suppliers.

Peter Holmes

VOC Member
When you consider the conditions an in use tyre is subjected to on an annual basis, extreme cold, heat, water, salt, road filth, sunlight etc. its a miracle they last as long as they do.

Chris Launders

VOC Member
I have some tyres both on and off bikes that are in a cool, dark, dry, even temperature environment, some have been there over 20 years and as far as I can tell all are still perfect. Obviously they would need very close inspection before use.

rapide049

Non-VOC Member
Where I live there is a rider called Keo Watson ,He races classics , regularly rides on 2nd hand tyres 10 yrs old and still breaks lap records on his own bikes ,(on the TZ 350 He rides for Neal Robinson WA they went away from Avons found they Patter to much , Talking with Alex Sinclairs Dad at the MGP last year they found the same and moved to Continentals , Avons on the Old Vincents on the road do the Job ok

Speedtwin

VOC Member
Avon Road riders are more capable than most riders on the road on a Vincent including me.

The only chatter I have ever had was my teeth during the cold early morning climb over the mountain.
Over the years we have run just about every tyre made when racing, different riders like different tyres.
My mate loved dunlops on the 600s he set some amazing times, I never got on with dunlops at all no confidence at all in them, think that is what it boils down to is peace in the mind when rattling it out.
Never ridden a full race Vincent in anger, there is one for the bucket list.

Al