Avon tyres to be produced by Nova Motorsport

Speedtwin

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
American Giant Tyre Corporation buy Avon shut them down sell off the assets and the name to Nova for some race car tyres, Nova to make road race car tyres, they in turn took all the machinery from Avon to their you guessed it over seas factory.
Where all being well they will make tyres for racing cars.

All the skilled workers laid off factory stripped and assets moved overseas.

Thats life, the corporation own many brands and factories all of which are being streamlined.
Soon all cars will run same tyres, same diameter,width and we will have to make our own tyres out of sweet wrappers.

Peter Holmes

VOC Member
I do love an optimist, but of course you are 100% correct, for the time being we can still get decent tyres if we are willing to compromise on standard rim sizes, even just changing to Series D and B + C Touring sizes, well that was the case a couple of years ago, unless things have changed since then, was anyone that actually riding their bikes still using Avon Speedmasters anyway?

Last edited:

Speedtwin

VOC Member
Sidecar guys are at a bit of a loss I am sure they all loved the Avons.
Many Harleys run the Avon Cobra tyres which are a fantastic tyre.
Here is a question how long can you store a tyre for?

ilikevelos

Forum User
VOC Member
I think that release may apply only to motorsport tires. As I recall, last year goodyear bought cooper tire, which owned Avon. Goodyear closed UK plant and is building one somewhere in Southeast Europe (Bosnia?) They claim they will continue to build avon tires but probably are reducing selection. In the US 19in Roadrider tires have been generally unavailable for at least 6 months. But have been listed as available by several US stockists in the last month or so. Hope they continue to offer them as they are my preference for commando with 19in rear with few other options available. I am building two rapides now. One is a touring model so tires not a problem. Considering buying 19.18 rims for B rapide because of concern for continued tire availability. Both will be riders. But cobra chromes on suzuki cruiser for a friend and really was impressed with them, Less so with the bike which dragged a peg on the test ride at what I consider moderate cornering speeds.

Peter Holmes

VOC Member
Sidecar guys are at a bit of a loss I am sure they all loved the Avons.
Many Harleys run the Avon Cobra tyres which are a fantastic tyre.
Here is a question how long can you store a tyre for?
Depends how you store it, ideally away from ultraviolet lite, and a stable not to hot or cold temperature, tyres on low mileage cars can have an incredibly long life, before the MOT tester fails them, not because they are worn out, just showing signs of perishing. I would expect a tyre that is stored properly to be safe for at least 5 years.

lee_812d

VOC Member
I ride my bike and use Avon Speedmasters!
I just checked the prices and 3.00x20 is 50% more than 3.00x21. So maybe next time I need tyres I'll put the extra to a different rim.
(That's if I can tear myself away from that slightly rough looking, but original, front rim).

LoneStar

VOC Member
"was anyone that actually riding their bikes still using Avon Speedmasters anyway?"

Certainly. Apart from Coker, they're the only option for 20" rims. They use modern compounds, and have plenty of grip; my only issue with them is that they wear out very quickly.