FF: Forks Avo front damper

greg brillus

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Can any readers on here please give me the diameter of the top shroud on one of the new AVO dampers, and also the eye to eye length fully closed and fully open. This for a front damper. Cheers.........Greg.

stu spalding

VOC Member
Can any readers on here please give me the diameter of the top shroud on one of the new AVO dampers, and also the eye to eye length fully closed and fully open. This for a front damper. Cheers.........Greg.
Hi Greg, shroud o/d is 1 7/8", closed is 7 1/4", open is 10 1/4". Cheers, Stu.

timetraveller

VOC Member
I'm not sure what is wrong here but I have already given Stu the dimensions he wants. He is fitting one of the new steering heads together with Greg' mod and an AVO damper. The problem seems to be that Stu is using an old AVO damper which has been modified. The damper he is using is 10.5" total length and this has caused problems which I have suggested can be cured by using the short eyebolts rather then the long ones but a much better idea is just to fit a new AVO damper with the correct settings for the Greg mod. I have already answered about a dozen phone calls and a lot of emails. Stu, let us know what the problem is.

stu spalding

VOC Member
I'm not sure what is wrong here but I have already given Stu the dimensions he wants. He is fitting one of the new steering heads together with Greg' mod and an AVO damper. The problem seems to be that Stu is using an old AVO damper which has been modified. The damper he is using is 10.5" total length and this has caused problems which I have suggested can be cured by using the short eyebolts rather then the long ones but a much better idea is just to fit a new AVO damper with the correct settings for the Greg mod. I have already answered about a dozen phone calls and a lot of emails. Stu, let us know what the problem is.
Hi Norman, the 10.5" was a rough measurement on the bike, off the bike and measured accurately it was 10.4". The dimensions I gave Greg are for a standard damper. My damper has the correct TA1447 part no but for some reason it is .150" longer than normal. I bought it on 21/09/2015 if that's any help. After trying short eyebolts I found that mudguard to exhaust clearance was a problem so I've settled for long ones. I would dearly like to get the thing out and ride it to see what difference all this is making but I'm still partial weight bearing on crutches so that'll have to wait and see. My next hospital appointment is not until mid November but I hope to be riding before then. (I hope the doctor doesn't read this). Cheers, Stu.

greg brillus

VOC Member
Thanks for the replies, Only I have done the stem/bearing upgrade to another Shadow and this time I will be installing one of the new AVO's to suit this mod and also one of their coilovers on the rear. Because they are still in transit, I was hoping to try and work out how much alloy I might need to remove from the upper link. This particular bike also has a 21 inch front wheel, so that should prove interesting as well. I am actually stealing these stem kits from other owners who don't need them urgently so I can keep other owners happy, that is until I twist Norman's arm enough till he makes up another batch........:)........Talk about creating "A rod for my own back".............Cheers............Greg.

timetraveller

VOC Member
Hi Greg, on my bike I had to make a 'groove' 0.134" deep and 0.905" top to bottom (measuring from the web at the rear of the top link) to clear the damper. I don't think that the 21" wheel should make a difference. The mudguard , if standard, will be the limit, not the tyre. Cheers

greg brillus

VOC Member
Just installed the front damper........Never had to remove that much material from an upper link before. The rear coilover is very large, bit like a series "D" unit, so I can see how installing the empty rear spring cases would be difficult. It will be interesting to see how they perform........They are also very heavy.

timetraveller

VOC Member
Greg, when setting up the rear coil over damper it is worth while copying what Chris Launders did. He made a small telescopic widget that sat parallel to the unit with a cable tie on it. This way he could differentiate between damper/spring movement and the damper setting. He found it difficult before that to get the combination of spring pre-load and damper setting correct.