Anyone know who owns this machine?

Chris Launders

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
If you use the rear brake arms on the front they turn outwards at the end instead of inwards and automatically clear the air scoops.

davidd

VOC Member
The correct angle between a load and a lever, for maximum efficiency, is 90 degrees. When I was using alloy plates with scoops and long levers H12, I had no trouble with clearance between them. Cheers, Stu

According to one brake expert, (assuming I am understanding him correctly) the angle of the brake arm that he is using is the correct angle for maximum braking power. It is not 90 degrees.

I don't know of anyone who has confirmed this either way.

David

stu spalding

VOC Member
According to one brake expert, (assuming I am understanding him correctly) the angle of the brake arm that he is using is the correct angle for maximum braking power. It is not 90 degrees.
That would seem to defy the laws of physics, although I am quite prepared to be corrected by someone who has a better understanding of them than I have, Cheers, Stu.

davidd

VOC Member
That would seem to defy the laws of physics, although I am quite prepared to be corrected by someone who has a better understanding of them than I have, Cheers, Stu.

Stu,

I agree. I set them at 90. However, it does bother me that someone is saying something different, but I have not yet run across someone who has a better understanding and can explain the math. I do think that Vintage Brake knows what they are doing and the owner, Michael Morris, says 90 is incorrect.

David

rogerphilip

Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
As far as I remember, brake lever angle was one of the first laws of motorcycle safety maintenance.
Specifically, the angle between the cam lever and cable, with the brake hard on, should always be less than 90 degrees.
In fact, presenting a bike for MOT ( in the dim and distant past) with a brake lever angle greater than 90 degrees warranted, at the least, an advisory, if not a failure. Probably because it implied very worn linings.
Angles greater than 90 degrees make for less leverage and therefore less than perfect brake efficiency, all other things being up to scratch that is.
The perfect situation, that provides the maximum leverage, is when the brake lever to cable angle is 90 degrees with the brake hard on.
But as as the linings wear the angle increases, so an angle less than 90 degrees, with the brake hard on, is the more practicle, and safer, option.
HTHs

Last edited: