Anyone know who owns this machine?

Jonathan Lambley

VOC Machine Researcher
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
This photo was posted on Facebook a few weeks ago when it was seen in Bolton, Lancashire in the UK.
Quite a unique looking machine.
Does anyone know whose it is and the vrm ?
Please email details to research998@voc.uk.com
Thanks
Jon Lambley
VOC Machine Researcher

Attachments

• Blue JL[2305843009252285682].jpg
    Blue JL[2305843009252285682].jpg
    366.5 KB · Views: 186

Gene Nehring

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Forget trying to get the numbers from the machine. Find out who the owner is and save his or her life by helping set up the front brake right. Looks super dangerous. :):)

Robert Watson

VOC Member
I had a rapide here a year or so ago, recommisioning for sale and the thing had terrible brakes on the front end, pull them hard and they didn't go to the bar but were virtually non effective. It had some long home made arms on the front, the serrations having been cut by hand with a hacksaw, so I set about redoing everything. Now this was a bike that the owner had for many many years, even came to California on it for the 1991 international, but always seemed a little reluctant to ride it. Usually took his '73 Z1 900 or a later Yamaha. I guess he was too proud to ask for help.

About 1/2 way on the pull of the lever the outer cover of the lower 1/2 of the primary cable jammed between the arm and the balance beam. Of course the longer arms requiring more travel did not help the situation. Took about 3/4 inch off the outer, put new short arms on the front and after 30 years it finally had some real brakes!

Russell Kemp

VOC Member
Looks like a riders bike to me. Twin pull front brake, long brake arms, lightning brake plates with scoops (so the brake arms need to be lower) and looking at the front Avon Roadrider scuffed right to the edge it looks like a well used bike :)

stu spalding

VOC Member
The correct angle between a load and a lever, for maximum efficiency, is 90 degrees. When I was using alloy plates with scoops and long levers H12, I had no trouble with clearance between them. Cheers, Stu

Peter Holmes

VOC Member
To have the arms that low I would imagine you would need longer than standard cables with the adjusters screwed fully down into the balance beam.