UK-Based Query Any Recommendations?

Speedtwin

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
My present policy for my Rapide is with Footman James and is up for renewal in March.
My policy includes international recovery which is a necessity given my proximity to the Republic of Ireland/Europe.
Renewal cost this year has went up to 387.82 ,75 quid of the total cost is for recovery, RAC international.
I also have a rider policy with Carol Nashe which covers all my other bikes including the Comet.
Again with international recovery.

Can anyone recommend any other reputable insurance suppliers for the Rapide.
Also when placing a value on your cycle for insurance purposes does anyone have any advice?

Thanks
Al

nigsey

VOC Member
My present policy for my Rapide is with Footman James and is up for renewal in March.
My policy includes international recovery which is a necessity given my proximity to the Republic of Ireland/Europe.
Renewal cost this year has went up to 387.82 ,75 quid of the total cost is for recovery, RAC international.
I also have a rider policy with Carol Nashe which covers all my other bikes including the Comet.
Again with international recovery.

Can anyone recommend any other reputable insurance suppliers for the Rapide.
Also when placing a value on your cycle for insurance purposes does anyone have any advice?

Thanks
Al
I found Footman James a bit pricey so for the last two years I’ve been with RH Insurance for my Rap and another foreign bike that shall be nameless. They also regularly advertise in MPH

Speedtwin

VOC Member
Thanks Nigsey will give them a bell, tried Peter James quote is 75 quid cheaper with all same options.
The hunt goes on.
Al

Jonathan Lambley

VOC Machine Researcher
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
I was with Peter James Insurance, that split from Footman James many years ago who are very competetive. However last year I moved to Hagerty Insurance as they offer a good multiple bike policy and worked out slightly cheaper than Peter James. They were also recommended by several other VOC members. I left Carole Nash and Footman years ago as they took the michael on the cost of their policies.
So try Hagerty
Cheers
Jon

Colin

VOC Member
I moved from Peter James to Hagerty a couple of years back. From memory premium was about £200 less with Hagerty and their Agreed Value arrangements were better and more easily complied with than PJ.
I also found them very helpful on the phone. An instrument I much prefer to the dreaded computer "conversation"!
Worth a try

CarlHungness

VOC Member
The insurance companies I've contacted here in the US require a genuine appraisal for
motorcycle insurance. For what it's worth to US members, I found American Family to be
one of the only companies that will insure my bike for theft. My current value is $65,000 US.
With today's battery operated tools one can pinch the most well protected machine in less
than two minutes. I just watched a YouTube video that tested the best cycle locks, chains, etc.
and it was depressing to see how rapidly a thief could cut through all of them.

Richard Beard

VOC Member
I insure all my classic bikes with Hagerty.
All on agreed value.
I propose the value--- they have always accepted that value.
Includes theft coverage.
Pretty reasonable premia IMHO.
Also you speak with an American based in MI-- and the guys on the phone are all enthusiasts (car or bike).
Highly recommended.

Bill Cannon

VOC Member
I'm with Hagerty, I have two bikes and a three wheeler on the policy. Total cost about £300, with £40,000 agreed value on the Vincent.
Friendly service and a pleasure to deal with.
Only condition is you must have access to a "modern" vehicle not insured by them, my 1996 BMW R100R qualifies.

Speedtwin

VOC Member
Thank you all for the great advice also thanks to the guys who pointed out the subtle changes which are being made at renewal time to classic insurance polices in the UK post brexit has been blamed.
Such as an example no longer insured to ride your mates bike.
No pillion coverage for classic.
Check the small print at renewal time checked mine this morning and there we have some changes in the FJ policy renewal..
Will talk to Hagerty.
Al