Another good reason to be member

chankly bore

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
I have examined this machine, and can state the following without fear of contraception: The cases are 1947 rapide or 1946 ditto because the "MADE IN ENGLAND" is stamped in,not cast.The machine was seen at the 1983 International Rally in Victoria,and Dave Hills remarked that the numbers were suspect.At that stage, the UFM was recorded as being the same as the RFM.According to my memory of early machines I have seen,the mating numbers may be correct on the crankcases and may give a clue to the machine's origin; one would have to refer to the Machine Registrar to confirm this.The engine number was possibly misread at some stage as 6185 by which it is identified in later Section records.Due to the roughness of the stamping/crankcase area this may well have been a forgiveable error. The "B" at the end of the RFM number is also dodgy.

Last edited:

Albervin

VOC Member
Without invoking the ire of our machine registrar I think you may find that the "6" and the "B" in the engine number were added in the 70s or 80s. The crankcase mating numbers certainly would support this. What a shame as an early B Rapide would probably be worth more than what this machine will fetch at auction next week.

david bowen

Non-VOC Member
you must remember when Ted was doing these bikes there were no computers and he had the works records little did he know that the computer would turn his world a round and at the end of his life he would have seen his world tumble. this mail is from Perth Australia airport so you can now see.what a change it made of his world,

Last edited:

chankly bore

Non-VOC Member
The machine sold for $45,500 AUD.A good buy for a sound useable machine disregarding all the aforementioned comments. I hope the new owner joins the Section and the VOC.

Ken Tidswell

VOC Member
Ted was King of the Stampers. Furness and Searle had the Work's stamps. He sold lots of 'genuine'Lightning
parts to the uninitiated. Ken