Another Egli build

Brian Thompson

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Hi Bill,
I don't really know what type of pipes Id like on the bike. There is a local bloke that can make s/s pipes whatever shape we like. Just have to leave the bike there. Um , I'm hesitant. Id leave my Harley there no problems. But this? I'm not to sure what to do yet. I like a pipe either side , they look nice.

roy the mechanic

VOC Member
Running the rear brake "backwards" should work in your favour. I had both tz brakes in one of my racers, the rear was far too powerful. Alot of messing with decreasing the leverage to stop the rear locking up. On a personal note, I would be inclined to rotate the front brake plates so they sit with the grids horizontal, rather than pointing down hill. Roy.

Brian Thompson

Non-VOC Member
Thankyou Roy,
I'll look at those front plates for sure.
That's good to know about easing off those rear brakes too. Sprocket and chain alignment next.
Cheers
Brian

davidd

VOC Member
The original Eglis had a steering stop that ran from the center of the lower stem to a somewhat stock strap that ran back to the frame.

EV4 Naked 2.jpg

This was part of the manual steering damper. When the bars were turned the triple tree smacked into the strap that was holding the damper plate motionless. I believe that the lower triple bolt was longer and had an aluminum spacer on each side that would touch the strap first. The stationary strap is made of aluminum. The design is not very strong, but in all the years of riding it never occurred to me to change it.

It looks like McIntosh made no provision for stops. I would think that some minor welding on the frame would be required.

I probably would have left the rear brake alone except for changing the lining to a lower mu.

The bike looks very good!

David