Misc: Carburettors Amal Carburettors Dripping Badly

nigsey

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
In the last few days I have purchased from Burlen and fitted a brand new pair of Amal 276’s for my 1950 C twin, beautiful looking carbs, seems a shame to use them. A couple of days after fitting them I started the bike, all ok, stopped it, went to start it a bit later, ticked it and much fuel leaked out of the little hole at the base where the big ‘union’ nut is attaches and wouldn’t stop leaking, this was the left side carb. My theory is that I over tickled it, either that or perhaps the float bowl was not completely vertical. Without altering the floatbowl I turned off the fuel tap and waited a bit before starting, took the bike for a spin and no further leaking. Personally, I wouldn’t look any further at this stage than reducing your tickle and see how that goes. I notice that the Rider’s Manual also advises that you only need to tickle the front left carb. My challenge at the moment is trying to get the mixture setting right.

ericg

VOC Member
Well, only thing i can say reading all this, and having them on Atwin.....

Is:

MIKUNI.
Yes and the only thing some people can say when reading technical issues on this forum is... HONDA!
Come on, Amals works perfectly well when properly set up, no need for hideous and anachronous Miks!

greg brillus

VOC Member
The 276 Amals should be pretty good out of the box........align the floats........stand in front of and then behind the bike looking at the carb/bowl angle relative to the engine.........mixture screws wound in fully seated (do not over tighten) then out 1 1/4 turns.......from here adjusting the screws in is rich and out is lean........on opening the throttle from cold it is common for the engine to "Spit back" a little........winding the mixture screw in will overcome this, but it can make the engine run on the rich side, so find a nice balance that allows for a clean pick up without spitting and no more.......best to make small adjustments on a warm but not hot engine thereafter.......take the bike for a short 4 to 5 km run around the block, not after a long run, then return home and make your adjustments quickly........always finish off by checking the carb slides are lifting in sync.... a very common problem with poor low speed running and hunting of the engine as one cylinder fights against the other........Good luck with it all.....Cheers.