Misc: Carburettors Amal Carburettors Dripping Badly

danno

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Hi
My C Rapide has the original 276 carbs and they drip once the tickler button has been pushed a few times.
I usually use that as an indicator that it’s time to start.
They seem to be ok whilst riding.
I did dissemble them a few years ago but couldn’t budge the bottom of the main body.
Just wondering if there’s any adjustment I can do, maybe in the float bowl.
Any help appreciated.

Attachments

• 5FCF173B-E54A-481F-8CCD-E73C84EFD3C7.jpeg
    5FCF173B-E54A-481F-8CCD-E73C84EFD3C7.jpeg
    362 KB · Views: 25

A Nut

VOC Member
I would not try unscrewing the nut under the jet block if the carb is still bolted to the manifold. You will probably split the stub. Better to take the carb off the bike, Put it in boiling water, that may help break the seal. find a good fitting ring spanner or socket and mount in the vice. Best to put the banjo nut back into place then with the jet block nut in the spanner put something like a piece of broom handle through the venturi and unscrew the carb body from the nut. I have never failed to get one apart with this method but be very careful not to put any strain on the stub. As regards the dripping your needles may not be seating properly. Try gentle grinding by hand using some jewellers rouge or Brasso on the seat but make sure you keep the needle central and upright. The Mazak faces where the fire washer fit on the float chamber arm are very often corroded and need careful dressing with a fine file. Using new washers (get a kit from Burlen or Surrey Cycles) coat the washers with Wellseal (nothing else will do, it's the only one that's petrol proof) let them go tacky and reassemble. By the way do the same with the washer inside the bottom nut where it abuts the jet block. Good luck!
Brian

danno

Non-VOC Member
I would not try unscrewing the nut under the jet block if the carb is still bolted to the manifold. You will probably split the stub. Better to take the carb off the bike, Put it in boiling water, that may help break the seal. find a good fitting ring spanner or socket and mount in the vice.
Thanks for the reply.
I did try and undo it with the carb off the bike before. Gave up in the end.
Will have another go with boiling water or gentle heat.
Reminds me that I need to get a bench mounted vice. Using a Workmate at the mo.

oexing

VOC Member
But then , Amal should specify the degrees from vertical when that is so as you suggest. But then again, what shall those do with a flange Amal ??
The root of this problem might be a non-correct fuel level in the float bowl.

Vic