Alton/Generator Oil Leak

Black Flash

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
In all fairness I have to admit that until now I had my engine running many times and also rode the bike round the fields but have never been on a longer trip due to registration problems.
Replacing the oilseal for something just pressed against each other with sealant in the gap does not sound very well engineered, but as I said in a previous post it should not be a problem.
I strongly believe that like most oiling problems of a Vincent it all comes down to a good engine breathing.
on a single the original breather if well maintained and fettled and with an engine in good nick should be more than adequate. Thus no oilleaks should occur even with this semi-bodged installation.
It is obviously a totally different story with twins where the majority of riders seem to prefer atmospheric breathers, elephant trunks and other solutions over the original equipment.

Simon Dinsdale

VOC Machine Registrar
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Is it not possible to turn down the area on the nylon gear and press or glue on a suitable steel sleeve to allow the original oil seal to run on ?

nkt267

VOC Member
But why would you go to all this trouble?
The Alton has a sealed bearing on the drive end and all it needs is a ring of suitable sealant to seal the face of the Alton to the recess in the Comet cranckase..No Leaks.It's gotta be a goodun!..John

Martyn Goodwin

Non-VOC Member
But why would you go to all this trouble?
The Alton has a sealed bearing on the drive end and all it needs is a ring of suitable sealant to seal the face of the Alton to the recess in the Comet cranckase..No Leaks.It's gotta be a goodun!..John
John, ever been on a merry-go-round? See my original post - cause what you suggest is exactly what I am doing - and it leaks! Martyn

nkt267

VOC Member
John, ever been on a merry-go-round? See my original post - cause what you suggest is exactly what I am doing - and it leaks! Martyn
Point taken..But if you are getting a full contact with Hylomar(how gap filling is it?) how is the oil getting past the joint? Unless as some one suggested you are getting excessive crankcase pressure..
I havn't had any leaks from around the Alternator/crankcase joint,everywhere else but hey ho I have to keep the oil companies going somehow..
By the way I put a ring of clear silicon sealant about 6mm thick on the Alton before I fit it..John

Last edited:

Holger

Forum User
VOC Member
Seal was probably omitted for because it was too technically challenging? Same reason the original items had no voltage regulation to speak of and were only half wave rectified in order to double the time it took to cook the battery...

Martyn Goodwin

Non-VOC Member
OK OK In frustration (should that be a problem removed becomes a problem solved) I decided to remove the Alton and revert to the original Miller generator (with a 12V conversion care of http://www.nanocontrols.co.uk/auto/v-reg2.htm ) where the steel generator pinion has a shoulder and uses a lipped seal to ensure that the cases remain oil tight without the need to resort to any gasket materials. Given that, with the exception of my 35/35W headlamp my bike is all LED and I run a magneto, the generator is able to cope. Tested over 200 miles over the last 2 days, oil tight and battery remains fully charged.

Martyn