Alternative Kickstart Lever

Normski

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Hi, I'm wondering if there are levers from more mainstream bikes ( cheaper!) which use the same size splines for the kickstart lever. I think I may want to alter the shape of the lever on my Egli twin and don't want to alter the original. Thanks.

Howard

VOC Member
This should show a Vin Twin and a 750 Honda kickstart - having trouble uploading.

There are several (apparently) different lengths, this is the longest. The spline has had to be recut, but the original is smaller than the Vin, so there is enough room.

Will it start a twin? I don't know, it's never been used because of lack of clearance for my footrests - I've heard "yes it will" and "no it won't".

H

Attachments

• DSCF1221.JPG
    DSCF1221.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 78
  • DSCF1221.JPG
    DSCF1221.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 71

roy the mechanic

VOC Member
I had a cb 750 kicker on mine,it now lives in the toot box. It's not the fault of the lever, it's a fault in the mechanism inside! (ducks to avoid incoming) the quadrant is only capable of around 45 degrees of travel. So when you go to use it you run out of swing half-way down. look at the original job, at rest it starts out at 9 oclock, and on the rapide it runs out as my boot hits the ground. Until I can come up with an alternative, I have been bumping it, needs 6 strong paces to make it go.

vibrac

VOC Member
I dont know if you have seen the film ZULU but in it James Booth playing private Henry Hook (VC) is dashing out of the burning building and he gives the cabinet containing 'medicinal' brandy a awkward sideways kick well thats the sort of kick necessitated by the honda kickstart:p -forget it, work on a folding footrest and gear change linkage or get an electric start.

roy the mechanic

VOC Member
I did not find it neccesary to give an awkward sideways kick, the trouble was running out of movement before reaching the extent of the limited ammount of movement offered by Mr Vincents flawed starter.