Alternative eBays

vibrac

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
A couple of people have commented to me that selling stuff on ebay is not the doddle it was now pay pal and ebay have parted and ebay are controlling a lot of carriage aspects of the sales. Does anyone have recent experience of ebay selly as an individual?
I have quite a lot of stuff to move (non Vincent!) and was wondering what other on line facilities are worth trying without going down the more shady routes like craig list etc (I note car & classic dont do spares)

kerry

VOC Member
eBay is not perfect but you CAN choose how you want to post things yourself, should be tracked really though.
Up to 2kg Royal Mail second class signed for is good at £4.20 , over 2 KG can be Hermes etc around £10.
I do a fair bit, by all means phone me if you are not sure how.
Kerry.

Somer

VOC Member
Selling on eBay winds up costing you about 21%. They do have international exposure.

oexing

VOC Member
Private sales via Ebay should not cost that much, commercial is different, 10 percent in that case I think.

Vic

LoneStar

VOC Member
eBay is not perfect but you CAN choose how you want to post things yourself, should be tracked really though.
Up to 2kg Royal Mail second class signed for is good at £4.20 , over 2 KG can be Hermes etc around £10.
I do a fair bit, by all means phone me if you are not sure how.
Kerry.

As a US resident who often looks at parts on Ebay UK, I'd advise anyone listing there who wants to sell overseas to avoid Ebay's "Global Shipping Program". This purports to help sellers avoid customs issues, but these are nonexistent, at least when sending to the US.

The costs are extortionate. Very often a small part offered at £15 will have a GSP shipping charge of over £30. Royal Mail will do the same job at a fraction of the cost. As a matter of both economics and policy, I refuse to bid on any listing being sent via the Global Shipping Program.

Michael Vane-Hunt

VOC Member
Got to agree with the Global Shipping, it is a huge money grab by ebay. They make it easy for the seller and costly for the buyer. I have contacted many sellers in both the UK but mostly in the USA and they are horrified to learn the split between what they get paid for shipping and what the buyers actually pay. The sellers can not see what is being charged by GS. Some sellers will change shipping methods if you inquire before bidding, most can not be bothered. Royal Mail and USPS are the cheapest methods to ship.

oexing

VOC Member
Don´t blame Ebay for shipping costs, it is the dealers job to pick a reasonable carrier. I don´t buy anything from USA anymore due to ridiculous shipping costs , nothing to do with customs here. USPS seems to be almost acceptable for shipping to EU , DHL may be better but my guess dealers are ignorant to spend any time on getting info about exports. Seems they are worried about customs troubles when exporting . But in reality customs should not be the business for US dealers, customs will be my thing once the parcel gets here.
Look at some Sony Magnescale measuring items I just searched and see shipping costs for these light and small items, costs start at $ 40.- up to over $ 300.- , carrier USPS and UPS fast services . Not Ebay´s business, dealers are to blame for picking reasonable carriers.

Vic

LoneStar

VOC Member
Don´t blame Ebay for shipping costs, it is the dealers job to pick a reasonable carrier.

I agree. But Ebay contributes to the gouging by having their own overpriced scheme, the "Global Shipping Program", and marketing it to sellers - who may not realize how much it will cost buyers, and deter them.

I looked at your second link; shipping to Germany was quoted in the listing from UPS at $121. But via US Postal Service, assuming 2 lbs, it would have been only $58 (still pretty high). I think the Royal Mail is a bargain compared to carriers in the US.

oexing

VOC Member
The thing with "Global shipping program" is that shipping costs PLUS customs duties are charged on sales bill so basically no customs will be involved in your country. So it is the import tax that you see mostly, not money Ebay puts in their pockets.
Since last July there is a new scheme for imports into EU when import taxes / VAT get charged upon sales bill already . So again - basically - you don´t pay customs duties like VAT later , the procedure is called IOSS , means Import One Stop Shop. I had one order from Thailand via Ebay last year when that system still was less than perfect. Carrier was DHL Express and I could show them that Ebay charged me 19 percent tax/VAT on sales bill. Did not bother DHL as they said Ebay did not transfer details in electronic form as required. So I had to pay DHL for their money service in that import plus VAT for customs duty which I could not reclaim. At least I got the VAT back from Ebay , not the first time they had protests from customers for paying VAT twice, one time on sales bill and second time to DHL customs.

Vic