Non Vincent Related Alp's Triumph Build Update

Cyborg

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
@Alp
Apologies for switching topics, but…. It’s my understanding that you replaced the Vincent twin’s drive side roller bearing with a ball bearing. If I recollect correctly, that was done back in the day by a drag racer in California who was running nitro. Presumably that prevents the problem with the roller bearing outer race walking inward towards the crankpin. Perhaps the ball bearing with also tolerate slightly more flex in the crank? Assuming you did use a ball bearing, did it survive the season unscathed?
You certainly do nice work.

ps… I have one of those tramming setups. Never thought to use it to set up a crankcase. Good idea!

Last edited by a moderator:

greg brillus

VOC Member
@Alp - Question.......how is it that you have new and obviously stronger set of aftermarket cases there, but you had to run original cases on the Vincent.......This does not seem to make any sense given newly available cases are much stronger than the originals.........Cheers.

davidd

VOC Member
Question.......how is it that you have new and obviously stronger set of aftermarket cases there, but you had to run original cases on the Vincent.......This does not seem to make any sense given newly available cases are much stronger than the originals.........Cheers.
Greg,

It is a modern class, not Vintage. The class is A-PF-1000 for the Triumph. The Vincent runs in A-VF-1000 which requires original cases due to the "V" in the engine classification.

David

G

Graham Smith

From Alp's workshop:

Another engine is completed for the #APF1000 class, next is final assembly of the bike.

150+hp is required to achieve the record speed of 168mph on a naked bike.

288442883_4644873822282207_5720683778118261325_n.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Monkeypants

Non-VOC Member
That's the same mainbearing as Norton Commandos use post 1972 Combat. Most of the Combats that survived have also had that bearing fitted both sides, either by the factory under warranty or by owner.
Norton named it the " Superblend"
It solved the mainbearing failure problem on Commandos.

Glen

royrobertson

VOC Member
Hi Alp. I was interested in the HP you think you need to go more than 168 mph. Is because of the altitude at Bonneville?
I did 150mph with an exit speed of 151 with a very short runway on my race bike and just a bikini fairing. The following year with a copy of Super Nero's dustbin I did 166mph over the flying quarter is still air (one way) This was with "only" 94 bhp. Your super bike looks a lot lower than my race bike and should be a lot more streamline. Perhaps you are looking for 180mph? the best of Luck.
Love your workshop!

Attachments

• PICT0130.JPG
    PICT0130.JPG
    696.4 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_20200424_0002.jpg
    IMG_20200424_0002.jpg
    384.5 KB · Views: 21

litnman

VOC Member
Roy, the APF1000 class has no fairing. Maybe Alp will eventually run the APS (streamlined)
class which should be much faster.

royrobertson

VOC Member
Yes I know that his class runs with no fairing. I am not sure if the tiny fairing on my 150mph runs is actually a help or just rider protection from the blast. Note on the 166mph average run the exit speed at the end of the quarter mile was only 158mph ( I must have lifted my head looking for the finish boards) so somewhere in the run I must have been doing over 170mph. As it was the same bike as the previous year what a difference a proper dustbin makes to the top speed. On a quarter mile sprint there was no advantage except the top speed is ten mile an hour quicker. A best of 131mph was achieved. I very nearly got into the Tens once with a run of 11,018 secs over the standing quarter on 50/50 Avgas / Supergeen petrol on my Classic race bike.
Hopefully Alp should get at least 20 mph increase if he runs streamlined but I understand there are a considerable number of " hoops to jump through" to run this class unlike here in the UK. The very Best of Luck Alp.
Cheers Roy