Alp Sungurtekin 666 Vincent at the World Finals, SCTA September 29, 2020

Robert Watson

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Yes, A turnout occurs when the riders either has a big mechanical issue or feels one coming or just hears or sees something he doesn't like.

davidd

VOC Member
Turn out to the left and they send the fire brigade. Turn out to the right and your crew picks you up. It was a turnout to the right or non-emergency side.

It turns out that today was not strictly a clean-up day for the qualifiers. Alp was last in line to backup his record, but they opened the track for an hour for more runs and would cut them off at noon, or when a certain number of vehicles qualified. They would then do the backup runs until closing.

David

davidd

VOC Member
I just talked to Alp and the problem he experienced yesterday that sidelined him was a spark plug blowing out of the hole. Unfortunately, it halted the record run on his new record, but the good news is there was no serious problem.

SCTA has not released the Daily Logs with the data, but Alp said that he averaged 177 in the third mile and his exit speed out of the third mile into the fourth mile was 182 mph and still pulling. He was running on the short course, so the third-mile speed was used as the qualifying speed. The bike was pulling very hard at 182 and it took Alp a long time to slow it. He had to sit up and "air brake" with his chest at one point.

Kurt was kind enough to send a photo that James Salter took of the tear-down and things look good to me. I like seeing that stock 7.3: piston in there. The Spares Co. may have a run on those, shortly.

IMG_2816.JPEG

As Alyn referred to earlier, what a great achievement for a new Vincent owner to build a machine in 10 months and have the shakedown tests go so well. Alp says that the total time on the engine is around 17 minutes.

David

bmetcalf

VOC Member
Alp is experienced, but Dave Matson got peeled off one time when a bump bounced him up into the air stream.

davidd

VOC Member
This video is a report from Tyler Malinky to his supporters. Tyler and his brother own Low Brow Customs. Low Brow has been a long-time sponsor of Alp. At 6:20 in the video, he walks over and talks with Alp.

Here is a good shot of Alp on the course. As he gets closer to the timed mile he gets low and flat on the bike with his helmet to the left-side.

WF 2020 Dave Kommel Photography.jpg

David

mercurycrest

VOC Member
I just talked to Alp and the problem he experienced yesterday that sidelined him was a spark plug blowing out of the hole. Unfortunately, it halted the record run on his new record, but the good news is there was no serious problem.

SCTA has not released the Daily Logs with the data, but Alp said that he averaged 177 in the third mile and his exit speed out of the third mile into the fourth mile was 182 mph and still pulling. He was running on the short course, so the third-mile speed was used as the qualifying speed. The bike was pulling very hard at 182 and it took Alp a long time to slow it. He had to sit up and "air brake" with his chest at one point.

Kurt was kind enough to send a photo that James Salter took of the tear-down and things look good to me. I like seeing that stock 7.3: piston in there. The Spares Co. may have a run on those, shortly.

View attachment 37791

As Alyn referred to earlier, what a great achievement for a new Vincent owner to build a machine in 10 months and have the shakedown tests go so well. Alp says that the total time on the engine is around 17 minutes.

David
182 is really getting with the program! Amazing!!

bmetcalf

VOC Member
Is that a knee shifter on the gear indicator shaft and is it the normal method or a backup for the foot shifter?

G

Graham Smith

It's such an incredible achievement.

I'm sure there's more and faster to come next year if he goes again.

davidd

VOC Member
Is that a knee shifter on the gear indicator shaft and is it the normal method or a backup for the foot shifter?

It is a hand shifter attached to the indicator. It is the only means of shifting that has worked so far. In general, both the Triumph and Vincent gearboxes have failed to shift properly when the engine produces high BHP. They work fine when in the pits and never miss a shift or find false neutrals. Under serious pressure, they don't appear to work well and the rider has to work around the problems.

If you shift normally by waiting for everything to slow down and work, you lose 20 MPH. If you miss a shift and get a false neutral, the engine stops because it fills with fuel and the fuel puts the fire out.

The rider has do deal with all this while moving very fast, so there is quite a steep learning curve.

David