Advice sought.......

nkt267

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I reckon the pipes were invented by the bloke who puts the metal puzzles in Christmas Crackers-you only work it out by accident and once done leave it alone.:p

F

Flatout

Jtan ???

I reckon the pipes were invented by the bloke who puts the metal puzzles in Christmas Crackers-you only work it out by accident and once done leave it alone.:p

Someone has just pointed me in the direction of www.thevincent.com
I'm surprised that I never spotted that website - good information on there especially for a novice like me!

What's this jtan forum? Is it the same as this forum? Could someone tell me how to go about getting logged onto it?

I presume that the majority of people on here are subscribed to jtan aswell.

Dave.

F

Flatout

Ebay.....

Someone has just pointed me in the direction of www.thevincent.com
I'm surprised that I never spotted that website - good information on there especially for a novice like me!

What's this jtan forum? Is it the same as this forum? Could someone tell me how to go about getting logged onto it?

I presume that the majority of people on here are subscribed to jtan aswell.

Dave.

Forgot to ask the forum. What do you all reckon to selling Vincents parts on ebay? Anyone had any good / bad experiences. I've been watching it over the last 3 weeks and items seem to achieve fairly high prices.

Vince Farrell

VOC Member
Dave
The 1st thing to do is if you are not a member of the VOC join it then get the address of the local section In York and you will get all the help that you require.

York Section club night this Tuesday at the Bay Horse in Fulford about 8pm,
we look forward to seeing you there Dave.

BlackLightning998

VOC Member
Jtan and the forum

Dave,

For Jtan email Doug Woods at dougwood@netzero.net and tell him you want to join up, he'll send you details.

I've only been on for a week, I still prefer the Forum but you get stuff covered on Jtan that isn't on the Forum - so when in doubt do both.

Ebay - simple that something is worth what someone is prepared to pay for it - and an auction is often the best way to identify that as if you get two people who both want it, then the price is set where one drops out.

I've been an ebayer for a few years now, mostly old Toy Trains but I have bought some Vincent stuff, I'd comment as:

1 - Buyer beware - ensure you know exaclty what you are bidding on and what condition it is in - when in doubt ask questions and if you don't get an answer then I'd suggest not to bid. I've bought a few bits for my Ducati described as "mint" only to end up having an argument when there are scratches on them. I bought a video camera descibed as fully working which wasn't and ended up out of pocket when the guy offered a full refund but not of the postage.

2 - Stolen or not?
There are a good number of Vincents on the register as stolen and a good number of parts that come up for sale that should have numbers on them but don't. Of course there may well be a good genuine reason why that is but you also have to ask yourself why, just in case.

3 - Trusted source
Do you know the source, do they sell regularly, have they good feedback?

4 - Worldwide audience
Because they reach a worldwide audience then the price is likely to be the best - a decent tank sold last week for nearly £500 - bought by a well known dealer who just may well have it restored and sold for substantially more. If you are lucky enough to find one at an autojumble or the like you may well get a better deal.

5 - Your local VOC as an alternative
There are many members who have parts they have had for years and will be genuinely interested in helping out a new member get a bike back on the road - so get involved in that local section and if you have bits missin start talking to the local guys who may be able to help out or put you in touch with someone who can.

6 - Original or reproduction
If you have got bits missing now that you are looking through your boxes, why not think about putting reproduction parts on from one of the suppliers we have discussed, if you are going to use the bike then the bits will be new and especially the parts which wear will then likely give you better service.

7 - MPH
Try an advert in MPH if there are bits you need and see what happens.

8 - Cheap?
I think I have yet to see a single Vincent part sell for what I would describe as a 'cheap' price relative to what I think you might get it for elsewhere.

9 - Stafford Show and Autojumble
Try that, raking around the secondhand parts - you never quite know. I saw a front stand assembly with both prop stands and engine plates for £250 and a Rapide Carb and float bowl for £290 last time - not exactly cheap, but if you have the bits missing.

Cheers

Stuart

Len Matthews

VOC Member
It seems that Ebay has reduced the number of ads in Floggers Corner. Clearly, you have internet access otherwise you wouldn't be reading this but not everyone has a PC or wants one. As for the items offered,some the sellers think because it's a Vincent item (and some of them aren't) they are sitting on a goldmine. A prewar cylinder barrel comes to mind..........:rolleyes:

F

Flatout

New Parts.

It seems that Ebay has reduced the number of ads in Floggers Corner. Clearly, you have internet access otherwise you wouldn't be reading this but not everyone has a PC or wants one. As for the items offered,some the sellers think because it's a Vincent item (and some of them aren't) they are sitting on a goldmine. A prewar cylinder barrel comes to mind..........:rolleyes:

Len,
I am going for as many new parts as possible. I've had alot of advice since I've joined the forum and I think this is the best way for me as I can't tell what's original anyway.

Dave.