Advice required - Flooding rear 276 Carburettor

Newbs1

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Hi Chaps,

Desperate to sort out a leak / flooding problem with a Rapide 276 pre monobloc rear carb. Replaced seals and main remote float chamber needle. This is a top feed long arm 2DS float chamber standard item.

can anyone advise anything else to try.

Thanks,

bmetcalf

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Try to inspect the needle seat. You could try lapping it with the needle and metal polish or fine valve grinding compound. I assume the clip that locates the float is seated in its groove.

Newbs1

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Hello Bruce,

Thanks for the tip i will try this first. Yes the clip is secure. This bike has stood for 5 years and i am just preparing it ready for MOT next week. All oilways primed and refreshing the fuel etc. When the fuel is on and tickling the rear float it overflows from the hole in the base of the mixing chamber (main body). I have past experience with other carbs but not 276 pre monoblocs.

Geoff (Newbery)
Coventry Section
England

bmetcalf

VOC Member
If that is where it is overflowing, tilting or swinging it, as above, should help or putting an extra gasket on top of the float bowl banjo to lower the float bowl.

Robert Watson

VOC Member
If it has stood for 5 years I would try first a good clean and then a little lapping with brasso or some such, and you can spin the needle with a drill. I just did one two days ago that was dripping. Problem solved. And yes, make sure the float itself is not leaking and flooded and that the spring clips are holding it securely to the needle. With the needle out you can gently push down and spread the clip a bit to give it a secure grip on the needle.

Paul Ennis

VOC Member
For anyone who has some machining capability, fitting a viton tipped monoblock carb float needle in a top feed 276 is quite easy. Mine has been in for about 10 years.(The thumbnail shows a plain nylon needle)

Last edited:

Newbs1

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Hi Paul,
That sounds like a good mod. Can i contact you to discuss.

Regards,
Geoff

Thanks to all for the tips much appreciated.