Advice on where to go for help with carburation?

clevtrev

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Don't know all about this chopsticks stuff but surely you can hear throttle/cable synchronisation. If you close the throttle slowly with a dead engine the slides will come to rest with a single click if the cables are synchronised. If not you will get a double click and one is closing before the other. I can still do this even with 40% loss of hearing.
But I have 95% loss of hearing.

stevew51

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Try This

Tape a some graph paper around the movable part of the throttle and number the lines 0-10, then tape an arrow to the stationary part of the throttle pointing to zero at zero throttle. Take the bike out for a run and see what number consistently shows up when the bike hesitates. This tells you 2 things, the first is that you do have a carburetor problem, not an ignition problem, which will usually* happen at the same engine speed, regardless of throttle position. (*higher compression will kill a weak spark)Second, it will tell you what part of the carb. is giving you the trouble, when you look inside the carb and see what position it is in, at the same number that it hesitates.
55 mph in 4th I suspect the slides. I have a similar problem w/ my own bike, which I am still working out.
Hope this helps and good luck.
Steve