• Welcome to the website of the Vincent H.R.D. Owners Club.

Should you have any questions relating to the Vincent H.R.D. Owners Club, or Vincent H.R.D. motorcycles in general, please contact Graham Smith, Hon. Editor and Webmaster by calling 07977 001 025 or please CLICK HERE.

You are unrecognised, and therefore, only have VERY restricted access to the many features of this website.

If you have previously registered to use this forum, you should log in now. CLICK HERE.

If you have never registered to use this website before, please CLICK HERE.

A Comet gearbox ratios and other questions.

kettlrj

Well Known and Active Website User
VOC Member
Are the gear ratios of a prewar A single box the same as a post war box? Are all the gears interchangeable? How many loose rollers are there fitted to the selector shaft? With a full compliment of 3/16" rollers, the selector shaft will not enter the bearing outer bush. Should there be either one or two less than the full amount. Should the rollers be 4.5mm dia. instead of 3/16"?

Robert Watson

VOC Member
I can answer one of your questions. I believe the gear ratios are the same. I rebuilt my A twin box with late Ariel Sq4 parts. The TTR although having originally come with close ratio dog style gears, came with the same gears as the twin, I did find a set of dog style standard ratio gears (same ratios at the twin and Sq4) from an AJW that are in there now.
I don't recall have any issue with assembly of the selector shaft, but that all happened about 10 years ago!

A_HRD

VOC Member
I think it's 12 rollers (or in any case the full compliment) and they're definitely 3/16"; not 4.5mm. I've just been and measured the ID of my bush and as best I can tell it's 0.910". Then I measured the OD where the rollers go in the selector-shaft and it's 0.534". Adding the 2 x 3/16 rollers (0.375") to 0.534" = gives 0.909" - same as the bush ID bar 1 thou.

Hold the 12 rollers in place with grease; if one cants over the whole assembly won't go in. My bush has a taper on the inside to assist with easing them in... Best of luck.

Peter B
Bristol, UK

A_HRD

VOC Member
Just a thought, if you have a slightly mismatched main case and inner cover, you might have alignment problems...??
Peter B
Bristol, UK

kettlrj

VOC Member
Thanks all,
I took out one roller and everything went together with no problem.
Cheers Richard.

Latest Forum Threads

Can't Find What You Need?

Buyer Beware: Fake or Real?