8" Headlamp rim gasket

Albervin

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I have finally collected all the original parts to assemble a post war 8" Miller headlamp (Hooray). Now I need a gasket to go between the reflector and lens; originally made of cork I am wondering if anyone has tried an "O" ring or some other substitute. I guess I could spend a day of my life cutting and trimming some cork like floor tile but there must be an easier way. I know I could run a bead of silicone around the reflector but that would be my last resort. All suggestions welcome.

ogrilp400

Non-VOC Member
Go down to Super Cheap Auto and buy a sheet of Neoprene cork. Then draw out the appropriate diameter circles and sit down and cut them out. Alternatively, for even more work but less cost, go to a truck tire place and they will throw an old tube at you and you can spend even more time carefully cutting out a rubber band of what ever width you require.

Phelps.

Albervin

VOC Member
Thanks all. The cork was a bit thick so I glued the trimmed circle to the lens. When it was secure I "shaved" it with a single edge razor blade. Now it fits the rim and the rim fits the shell. Let's hope the new headlight stays also fit...

Tug Wilson

Non-VOC Member
I had the same problem but used an o ring kit from R&S loaned by a friend which contained long lengths of neoprene? in various diameters with cutting guide, superglue and water proofing solution for the joint (shellac)?