E: Engine 500 Innards

brian gains

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Glad to read that as I just fitted my new Alton gear without loctite.
This was necessary when I noticed that the ammeter was sometimes working and then not.
On dismantling I found that the hole in the old plastic gear had grown so much that it would turn on the shaft despite the key.
The only explanation I had for this was that I fitted the Alton without backlash and with temperature rising the pinion grew, more pressure more heat.... you get the picture.
Luckily I have one of these super gaskets thanks to Peter B so this should be an easy job
Bernd

Didn't mention it but yes, I had identical issue about 200mls prior to cover strip down which seemed to rectify itself after I carried out teknikal applied wiggling of wires in headlamp shell to see if there was a loose connection. But I don't see how a keyed in pinion can be loose enough to not drive. I would have thought it would either 'eat' itself or more likely 'walk' of the shaft causing catastrophic damage to the timing gears/motor.

ps have I been using the search function incorrectly not to have been aware that the Alton pinion gear retaining screw was a known issue.

Martyn Goodwin

Non-VOC Member
ps have I been using the search function incorrectly not to have been aware that the Alton pinion gear retaining screw was a known issue.

No need to use the search - there are already THREE examples of the Alton screw comming loose mentioned in this thread.

If you joined the VOC then you would get MPH and be able to see a lot more of what folks experience.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
I have never bought an Alton, So knew nothing about these problems, But thanks to This thread, The info' will go into my little book !. Cheers Bill.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Going to publish that little book? I'll take a copy.
Just a bit of Fun, There is so much info' on this site, And I liked to look at thevincent.com, When it was going.
I can't believe there is still so much to learn about these Old Vincents, But as different parts are available, So more info is needed.
Clevtrev is always worth a read, If only he would stop taking the Piss !.
I have had a Walkernator under the bench for many years, Super castings etc, Meant to fit it to my Comet, But having a Mag', Never got round to it, Or needed to, But it's going on the new Comet, Because I want to fit a "D" Distributor. These Bikes keep the mind going !. Cheers Bill.

vibrac

VOC Member
I think I need a new regulator for my Walkernator (after I run a few checks on the alternator first) what I would really like is a regulator that works like the latest Alton so I dont have to remember to turn it off while I am a fan of good lights and stuff I prefer a Magneto so I don't have a switch that turns everything on just a switch that connects the alternator supply If there is not a new style regulator I guess I shall have to find one of the old ones
Also how long will a belt last? it must be years since I fitted it.

Martyn Goodwin

Non-VOC Member
I think I need a new regulator for my Walkernator (after I run a few checks on the alternator first) what I would really like is a regulator that works like the latest Alton so I dont have to remember to turn it off while I am a fan of good lights and stuff I prefer a Magneto so I don't have a switch that turns everything on just a switch that connects the alternator supply If there is not a new style regulator I guess I shall have to find one of the old ones
Also how long will a belt last? it must be years since I fitted it.
The Walkernator uses a alternator from a small Kubota tractor. So find your local Kubota dealer and you should be on the money for a new voltage regulator.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
The Walkernator uses a alternator from a small Kubota tractor. So find your local Kubota dealer and you should be on the money for a new voltage regulator.
Are you sure Martyn ?, That sounds like the one from Canada, McDougleator ?. Cheers Bill.