H: Hubs, Wheels and Tyres 4.00-19 rear tyre advice please

kerry

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Avon SM 4.00-19 rear tyre. Is there any advantage or disadvantage having this larger tyre on a twin please ? Certainly a very tight fit.
Also note how the suspension has been lowered (spring boxes) I doubt that has been seen before ? no room for the tool tray
The Pheasant thinks the front tyre looks alright
P1070699.JPG

Last edited:

Peter Holmes

VOC Member
If the rear spring boxes have been lowered, wouldn't that create more space for the toolbox, or is it that the seat has been lowered, I am struggling to see what the arrangement is there. It doesn't look like the brake arms, front and rear, are in the ideal position, when the brakes are applied you would want to see 90 degrees between the cable/rod and the brake arm, granted the picture is showing the brakes not applied, but I doubt the handlebar lever or foot pedal would afford you enough movement to achieve the ideal 90 degrees when applied.

kerry

VOC Member
Peter,
The spring boxes as they are do not leave room for the tool tray, will be put back to normal, what I really am asking is about the tyre size ?
Only got this bike yesterday for my friend so brakes etc need as you say to be looked at, thanks.
Kerry.

Vincent Brake

VOC Member
Avon Roadrider 100/90-19
Michelin road classic 100/90-19
and dunlop

they are a bit lower, and easyer to put on, manually.

but the bike sure looks good Kerry.

seat stays are lowered, so the seat for once is lower as the tank. always better looks

Peter Holmes

VOC Member
I think the tyre width should be fine, those widths were used on Touring model variants and also Series Ds, albeit in most cases with 18inch rims, not 19inch, but I am sure 4.00-19 will be accommodated.

A_HRD

VOC Member
Kerry,

I've used 400x19 rear without issues years ago. I used it that way for Cadwell High Speed Trials too - without incident!

That seat looks like it's too low. Bring it up at the rear a bit. The front bracket on the seat looks lower than std too - but hard to be sure. Do look-out for the lifting handle smacking the back of the seat at full bump. Vincents do look so much better with the tool-tray fitted....

A photo with the bike off the stand with a handle-bar leaning lightly against a wall would help diagnose possible rear suspension issues. But all in all - a good-looking bike... Does the engine rattle?

Peter B

kerry

VOC Member
So far today I have removed the seat and dampers and will reassemble correctly so a tool tray can be fitted too, the front dampers were fitted high at the front on extended seat fixing, personally I feel this looked horrible, and felt horrible to sit on forcing me forward into the tank, it was done for a shorter person but I am 5ft 7" and dont have a problem.
I need to look at the brakes as well because as Peter H pointed out they are badly set up, the previous owner said the brakes were poor !
The 400 tyre is VERY CLOSE to mudguard and swinging arm but I will leave for now, just wonder if it affects the ride too.
Now the engine. One of the quieter ones for sure, starts second kick too, reputedly done by Bob Dunn many years ago but no definitive proof,
The last 2 owners since 2016 have clocked up very few miles which is often the case.
Thank you A_HRD and the others, always appreciated.
Kerry.

DucATIRadeon

Non-VOC Member
I've got Bridgstone BT46R 4.00x18 at the back and that has very little room where the fender bends inwards for the chain guard!
plenty space above (as its 18" vs your 19") but just as fat.

so far no contact marks.