35 Series A oil tank

Dinny

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I'm in the process of trying to figure out the width of the early oil tank with the oil fittings on the front face. Anybody have any ideas as I believe the early oil tanks were narrower.

Even better does anyone have a spare early oil tank?

Thanks
Mark

dommy2

Active Forum User
VOC Member
I'm in the process of trying to figure out the width of the early oil tank with the oil fittings on the front face. Anybody have any ideas as I believe the early oil tanks were narrower.

Even better does anyone have a spare early oil tank?

Thanks
Mark

dommy2

Active Forum User
VOC Member
Hi Mark,

Just measured ours and I make it 4 & 1/8 inches wide (not the front side with fittings) and 6 inch height.
Measurements in US friendly format and not the Euro metric rubbish:)
I will try to post a picture later. Jon.

dommy2

Active Forum User
VOC Member
Hi Mark,

Just measured ours and I make it 4 & 1/8 inches wide (not the front side with fittings) and 6 inch height.
Measurements in US friendly format and not the Euro metric rubbish:)
I will try to post a picture later. Jon.

Attachments

• 20180725_195426 (1).jpg
    20180725_195426 (1).jpg
    948.1 KB · Views: 31

dommy2

Active Forum User
VOC Member
No this is a reliable anti wet sumping device that I run on all our classic bikes as I had a nasty experience with a wet sump valve on one of my Norton Commando's many years ago!
I did buy a Conway's anti wet sump valve but decided not to risk it as if my simple valve fails it will be my own fault and I can beat myself up.
Pictures attached of Commando Left conrod after using anti wet sump valve, melted shells, bent rod, crankshaft regrind and new main bearing required! So for me the simple tap's that I use, have always worked reliably. Jon.

Attachments

• 20180331_203851.jpg
    20180331_203851.jpg
    565.1 KB · Views: 15
  • 20180331_203838.jpg
    20180331_203838.jpg
    623.1 KB · Views: 16

Dinny

VOC Member
Perfect, thanks Jon.

It is definitely narrower than the later ones and I see the battery cover is about flush with the front face from your pic.

Cheers

Mark

Peter Holmes

VOC Member
Jon, I also purchased an anti wet sump valve, but with the amount of suck it took to lift the spring loaded ball of the seat I could not bring myself to use it, any takers? but I could not trust myself to turn a manual tap on every time I start, and it only takes once, I fitted a concealed, discreet locking device to my Dave Hills stand and am surprised how many times that I have tried to push it off the stand with the lock engaged, for me, what are the chances of forgetting the tap. By far the best solution was devised by Marcus Bowden, a very simple but cleverly engineered petrol tap that also has a linkage to a tap fitted to the oil feed pipe, that is on Old Harry I think, you cannot turn the fuel on without also turning the oil on, idiot proof, just what I need.