1965 registered Vincent series D

tractorman414

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I was full of joy when I read the announcement of pre 1960 vehicles being exempt MOT testing, until I realised that my D documents have it registed 1965. the earlist document I have is a green continuation log book issued in 1973 and that has the date of original registration as July 1965. I have known the machine since 1963 and believe I bought it 1964. I am aware that Vince Farrell has information on record of earlier owners, but would such data have any sway with the DVLC, In thoery I suppose the DVLC could say the although the bike was made in 1955 it could have been kept unregistered until 1965 ?

Any ideas on how to proceed, please

Bernard

Vince Farrell

VOC Member
I was full of joy when I read the announcement of pre 1960 vehicles being exempt MOT testing, until I realised that my D documents have it registed 1965. the earlist document I have is a green continuation log book issued in 1973 and that has the date of original registration as July 1965. I have known the machine since 1963 and believe I bought it 1964. I am aware that Vince Farrell has information on record of earlier owners, but would such data have any sway with the DVLC, In thoery I suppose the DVLC could say the although the bike was made in 1955 it could have been kept unregistered until 1965 ?

Any ideas on how to proceed, please

Bernard

Your 'D' registration # was issued in 1955 so you won't have a problem. Also I would imagine the new rules apply to bikes MADE before 1960, so relax Bernard.

vibrac

VOC Member
Bernard
[/I]

I am in the same boat but this is the actual announcment

"Today I am announcing the Government’s plan to exempt all vehicles of historic interest (vehicles manufactured prior to 1 January 1960) in Great Britain (GB) from statutory MOT test, as allowed under Article 4(2) of the EU Directive 2009/40/EC."

And I know government double speak is difficult but that doesn't mean only bike manufactured in UK (I think!:)

Last edited:

tractorman414

VOC Member
thanks guy for your confidence

proof of the pudding, will be when I apply on line for my tax disc

You don't get very far argueing with a computer

Bernard

Howard

VOC Member
I'm overjoyed for you guys with old bangers :)............... honest I am (You think only Bob Collins can do sarcasm).

My rattly old 1950 engine is saddled with 1974 cycle parts, so no tax or MoT exemption for me. At least I'm a long way short of 1960 MoT exemption, and not just 12 months, as with the road tax.

H

Last edited:

deejay499

VOC Member
Tractorman.

Perhaps the 6 and 5 have been put the wrong way round. A solo Prince I had was registered in 56 after sitting in the dealer's showroom for a while.

Jim Richardson

VOC Member
I assume that is SYL, 19th from last built, I met somebody at the Buxton weekend who has the 18th from last and met John Cone at the spares co. last weekend who has the 13th from last, all out of Conways and registered July, Sept and Dec 1956, so i assume there were still new bikes waiting to be registered through early 57.

jim burgess

VOC Member
I'm overjoyed for you guys with old bangers :)............... honest I am (You think only Bob Collins can do sarcasm).

My rattly old 1950 engine is saddled with 1974 cycle parts, so no tax or MoT exemption for me. At least I'm a long way short of 1960 MoT exemption, and not just 12 months, as with the road tax.
H

So what you do is... Buy a 1950s Norton wideline something.... Throw away the rubbish bitz.... Saw off the Vin gearbox.... And bolt what is left into the parts designed in Belfast, result, goes round bends, can stop, no mot req.
Jim Burgess

Howard

VOC Member
So what you do is... Buy a 1950s Norton wideline something.... Throw away the rubbish bitz.... Saw off the Vin gearbox.... And bolt what is left into the parts designed in Belfast, result, goes round bends, can stop, no mot req.
Jim Burgess

I like moaning, almost as much as like riding my Egli (which also goes round bends and stops) - I'm not trashing a good bike because I'd still have to moan about something and Government decisions are easiest to moan about!! :)

H