G: Gearbox (Twin) 1951 Rapide Won't Engage First Gear

Robert William

New Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Hello and thank you for taking the time to read my post.

I am currently working on a 1951 Rapide with the objective of making it roadworthy enough to ride around the neighborhood. It had been in storage for 30 plus years, but I was able to get the magneto, carbs, cables, valves and such sorted out enough to get her running decent again. My next step was going to be tires, brakes, chain, and wheel bearings, but then I realized I could not select 1st gear.

I can select 2nd, 3rd, and 4th, by pushing down on the gear selector, but on the way back up the shifter stops at second gear and feels like it wont go any further. Interestingly enough if I grab the little gear indicator lever along with the shifter in will go into neutral, but only if I use the indicator in conjunction with the gear selector. Using just the gear selector by itself I am unable to engage neutral.

I do have an owners manual, and did review the section on "Adjustment of gear-change mechanism 1000cc models" on pages 39 and 40 but have not undertanked any of the steps as I was hoping to gather a little insight first.

Thank you in advance for your replies.
Rob W

LoneStar

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
The indicator lever actuates the internal gearbox mechanism directly, so that should be your first focus. If you can't shift through all the gears using that, there are issues within the gearbox. But note it's common for gear dogs to be blocked from moving sideways, thus shifting, due to position - you need to move the rear wheel back and forth a bit while trying, to avoid this.

If you can reach all gears and neutral using the indicator lever, any remaining issues are down to the shift lever mechanism in the kickstart cover. Most likely adjustment, per the Riders Handbook, will resolve this if all parts are in good condition.

Good luck!

greg brillus

VOC Member
I've had engines here were the bevel gears in the roof are out of "time" thus will not select all gears.......quite easy to do........might explain why the bike hasn't gone in ages.

robert shennan

Active Forum User
VOC Member
Hello Robert,
I have just opened up my gear box to see why it would not change out of 2nd gear. Unfortunately the boss on the top of the gearbox that supports the spindle that the cam rotates on has broken off and jammed the mechanism.
Hopefully your issue is less dramatic.

litnman

VOC Member
I would strongly recommend reinforcing the boss to alleviate such a disaster. I had a similar experience, luckily
it was at the drag strip as I skidded to a stop.
Cam plate support finished.jpg