H: Hubs, Wheels and Tyres 1950 Series 'B' with Bramptons - what's the best brake linings?

Magnetoman

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I believe the "Vintage Brake" website has been withdrawn on account of him being so busy.
His web address returns a message of "this account has been suspended," which is a very troubling development. I've had him do the brakes for four bikes over the past ~25 years, most recently three years ago, and he was always busy with long turn-around times. No matter how busy, I can't imagine someone allowing their web site to be suspended rather than adding a message to the effect that lead times are now many months. His address that has been suspended long enough that google no longer finds it, which I fear implies something beyond just being busy. I hope he's OK.

greg brillus

VOC Member
I have been informed that Michael Morse is indeed still around and very busy.........He still has the lining material available, as he has just supplied my friend with a largish quantity of it to be fitted to new stronger brake shoes. I don't have his contact number in the USA but I'm sure someone will have, so it might be worth trying to simply call him if you can..........Cheers.......... Greg.

Magnetoman

VOC Member
I have been informed that Michael Morse is indeed still around and very busy.......
Thanks for that. I'm glad to hear it's only because he's busy. I have his contact information but it sounds like I should leave him alone until this pre-post-Covid surge subsides.

greg brillus

VOC Member
You are best to simply buy the linings from him and get them bonded elsewhere........ i sent him some shoes years ago and he was quite slow..........most brake shops can do it much faster, some recommend having the ends riveted in place, I've not found this necessary unless you are racing the thing.

Alyson

VOC Member
Alyson, type 'new 7" brake shoes' into the search facility, top right of the page. There you will find a lot of details. The last batch were £105 per pair and that includes a new spring and two new steel end plates fitted. You can order a set by posting here or emailing me on enw07@btinternet.com. Pleased note that I am not a business. That means that I am not always available. These are made to order and I have to wait for them to be ready. I never take a deposit or any money up front and only tell you the final price when I have them and know the cost of postage. I expect to be paid before shipping them. If ever you are unhappy about anything I have supplied you will get a full refund if the items are returned as sent out.
do you take paypal ?

Magnetoman

VOC Member
he was quite slow......
Ever since I had him do my first set of brakes 25 years ago he's warned customers he would be slow, and he lived up to that. However, when I needed the brakes of my Ariel relined for the Cannonball I let him know why I needed them and he turned them around quickly.

As an aside that I might have mentioned before(?), during the Cannonball someone pulled out on the highway in front of me when I probably doing 45 or 50 mph, saw me only at that point, then stopped directly in my lane and mouthed the words "I'm sorry" (yes, I was close enough to read her lips). This is why you want the best possible brakes on your bike.

Mark Stephenson

Non-VOC Member
I believe the "Vintage Brake" website has been withdrawn on account of him being so busy. For me that has become a common problem, it is getting very hard to get things done now.
Yes, Vintage Brake has a message that they are not accepting more orders. I did get a call back today, hopeful to drive my front wheel to them for work

greg brillus

VOC Member
Mark, you might want to just check that your drums are cast iron and not the early steel items, as these need a course woven lining to work, most other modern linings on these early drums are useless..........Cheers......... Greg.

Mark Stephenson

Non-VOC Member
Mark, you might want to just check that your drums are cast iron and not the early steel items, as these need a course woven lining to work, most other modern linings on these early drums are useless..........Cheers......... Greg.
Greg. very interested to know this myself. Any tell tale signs of cast iron vs. steel? Thx Mark