Where Are You Now? 1950 C Comet MFD 421

toesup

New Forum User
VOC Member
My Father owned this bike during the mid to late 1950's.. courted my Mother on it but had to sell it when he got married to my Mother.
His story goes that he sold it and the new owner crashed it..
It has no record on the DVLA database..

Does it still exist?..

Sorry about the poor quality pics, they are old and faded negatives.

Attachments

• Epson004cm_105419.jpg
    Epson004cm_105419.jpg
    343.6 KB · Views: 44
  • Epson004c_105358.jpg
    Epson004c_105358.jpg
    257.7 KB · Views: 42

Jonathan Lambley

VOC Machine Researcher
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
My Father owned this bike during the mid to late 1950's.. courted my Mother on it but had to sell it when he got married to my Mother.

Does it still exist?..

Ralph,
if you can tell me the registered number I'll have a look for you on our machine database.
Jon Lambley
VOC machine researcher
PS did you get my latest email about FGU 729?

Jonathan Lambley

VOC Machine Researcher
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator

Does it still exist?..

Ralph,
we have no record of that registration number on the VOC machine database, which means no club member ever reported owning it to the club or that we'd ever seen it anywhere. If we had the engine number and / or frame numbes, we might be able to find where the seperate components are that survived the crash but the bike clearly doesn't exist anymore under the reg MFD 421.
Obviously from the photo it is a Series C Comet and from the registration, I can tell you that it was registered in the West Midlands from August 1951onwards.
I'll put an entry in the database with the reg and your fathers details so that if it ever came to light in the future we have some history for it.
Do you know if your father owned it from new?
Thanks
Jon Lambley
VOC machine researcher

Jonathan Lambley

VOC Machine Researcher
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Ralph,
if you can tell me the registered number I'll have a look for you on our machine database.
Jon Lambley
VOC machine researcher
PS did you get my latest email about FGU 729?
Ralph, further to my last, did your father own the Comet before he lived in Quinton, Birmingham?
Jon Lambley
VOC machine researcher

toesup

New Forum User
VOC Member
Ralph, further to my last, did your father own the Comet before he lived in Quinton, Birmingham?
Jon Lambley
VOC machine researcher
Hi Jon
Thanks for the info, I suspected it disappeared but it was worth a try.
He bought it second hand from Chas E Cope and Sons, a motorcycle dealers on Hagley Road in Birmingham some time in 1956. I have the insurance document dated 27th July 1956 and valued a £130.
My Father lived in Quinton at the time, but at a different address you probably have on file. He then moved to Bearwood in Birmingham for a while and then back to Quinton.
As far as I know he sold the bike in 1959 shortly before marrying my mother.

Ralph

Jonathan Lambley

VOC Machine Researcher
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Hi Jon
Thanks for the info, I suspected it disappeared but it was worth a try.
He bought it second hand from Chas E Cope and Sons, a motorcycle dealers on Hagley Road in Birmingham some time in 1956. I have the insurance document dated 27th July 1956 and valued a £130.
My Father lived in Quinton at the time, but at a different address you probably have on file. He then moved to Bearwood in Birmingham for a while and then back to Quinton.
As far as I know he sold the bike in 1959 shortly before marrying my mother.

Ralph
Thanks Ralph. I'll update our records