Non Vincent Related ‘Baby’ Hesketh On The Way

All-new 450cc roadster set for official launch next month…

These are the first images of Hesketh’s all-new, 450cc single-cylinder roadster, which is set for its official unveiling next month. Called the Heresy, it’s the British marque’s first all-new bike since the brand was revived in 2014 with the £35,000, 2000cc V-twin ‘24’.

Screenshot 2022-08-31 at 20.52.47.png

With that bike now consigned to history as it no longer meets emissions regs, Hesketh owner Paul Sleeman has changed direction to create a more accessible machine – although there are still plans for a 200bhp supercharged triple.

Sleeman, who has owned the brand since 2010, told MCN the Heresy was conceived during Covid-19 lockdown as a more affordable but still fun, lightweight. Going up against other British built, small-volume concerns such as the Langen Two Stroke and single-cylinder CCM Spitfire range, it could see Hesketh return to significant production.

“We were building the big V-twins but that all ceased in the middle of the pandemic,” Sleeman told MCN. “The idea was: ‘Can we build a Hesketh where we might do 100 a year?’ To bring out something new that’s affordable, hopefully, and attractive to people.”

As such it’s based around an updated, enlarged, fuel-injected version of Honda’s XR400 enduro twin exhaust port single, complete with balancer shaft held in Hesketh’s hand-crafted, tubular steel frame with quality cycle parts.

Rear suspension is retro-style twin shocks, again similar to the Langen, and developed with K-tech. The forks are beefy, multi-adjustable USDs, with braking seen to via twin discs and radially-mounted calipers.

Screenshot 2022-08-31 at 20.53.18.png

These should be more than sufficient on such a lightweight machine, with other features including LED lights and minimal bodywork on this roadster version, plus a flyscreen and belly pan.

This is all finished in Hesketh black with some parts in carbon fibre. A scrambler version based on the same concept is planned.

“There’s going to be two models: one to be unveiled soon and, on the same platform, we’ll make a scrambler. They’re lightweight bikes, not a ton of horsepower as you would expect from a 450, but it is a Euro5-compliant engine, has ABS and all the bells and whistles you need to have today.

Screenshot 2022-08-31 at 20.52.56.png

Sleeman added that the bike will be rapid enough to make it fun, although it’s never going to break any speed records.

“We’re trying to pitch it in a place where people might be able to afford a Hesketh for once because the one thing I’ve heard for years now is: ‘I love it but I can’t afford it’. It’s what everybody says. The retail for this bike, hopefully, by the time you’ve added the dealer margin, is about £14,000.”

So why the name? “It’s called Heresy because the definition of heresy is to literally go in a completely different direction – from the whole high cost thing. Everything I’ve built previously sits in someone’s house or garage and you never see them, and as a motorcycle manufacturer you want to see the things…”

Screenshot 2022-08-31 at 20.53.40.png

Another difference is that the bikes will be sold through dealers rather than from the factory with participating dealers set to be announced shortly.

Screenshot 2022-08-31 at 20.53.29.png

roadster

New Forum User
Non-VOC Member
The engine is made by the Chinese company Shineray and is already used in in mash motorcycles and others.

Attachments

• shineray-engine.jpg
    shineray-engine.jpg
    165.7 KB · Views: 14

vibrac

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I wont get too excited then.....
I already have an XBR Honda thats almost VMCC eligible