C: Clutch Videan Clutch

Robert Watson

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Oh Tim there probably is but when I can order Barnett ones here in Canada and a few days later a nice (BMW riding - when not at work) uniformed officer and fine upstanding member of her Majesty's government postal system delivers them right to my garage door, and the alternative is to locate some questionable establishment that will involve a couple of hour long drives in outrageous traffic it becomes a no brainer.......

stu spalding

VOC Member
The Lightning friction disc has very wide tabs, so needs the drum slots cut back. What do you have to do to make the Triumph friction disc fit?

????? Can you explain please? Paul
I have not used the Triumph disc in a Lightning drum, to fit the standard drum the O/D is reduced to the edge of the friction material. To save a lot of filing, a grinder can be used providing the job is kept reasonably cool. The ears are slightly narrower than standard but this shouldn't add too much to clatter from a twin engine. If engine noise is a problem, fit a louder silencer. To use the Triumph disc in a Lighting drum reduce the O/D between alternate pairs of ears. I have offered one up and it looks like it might be OK. Cheers,Stu.

Vincent Brake

VOC Member
The Lightning friction disc has very wide tabs, so needs the drum slots cut back. What do you have to do to make the Triumph friction disc fit?

????? Can you explain please? Paul
one can get Thin sets for a triumph, so one plate more fits in, higher transmissable tork possible, or lighter springs, I have a triumph with 8 plates in it.
one finger operation now

highbury731

VOC Member
Hmmm, the VOC Spares friction plate is £70 + VAT + post. On EvilBay,I find Triumph plates £36 per set of 6, posted. That is a surprising amount cheaper.
Paul

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
I think the Spares Company is free post In UK ?, Is that before of after 10 % discount for members ? Cheers Bill.

ClassicBiker

VOC Member
As we're discussing the Vindean Clutch, a multi plate type clutch, and using a unit Triumph friction plate in lieu of the Lightening friction disc in the standard clutch. I can recommend the Kevlar friction discs offered by Lowbrow custom. I few years back I made my own multi plate as described in Forty Years on and used these plates. They are made to operate either dry or in oil. In my multi plate I use 750 unit twin clutch springs. The mechanical advantage offered by the standard Vincent twin handle bar lever, the G91/1, ET27/2SS plus a couple of washers between the cable abutment and G50 I have all the lift I need and any increase in lifting effort is negligible. I don't have any connection, I just stumbled across them as I had initially built it up my multi plate with used standard twin plates to see if it would work. Once I had it all worked out I replaced the used plates with new steel ones, these Kevlar friction plates, and for a little bling an alloy pressure plate. The version in Forty Years On has a solid hub. My next step is to incorporate the Triumph Unit cush drive to help the ESA. Oh the Vincent parts I cut up were all damaged to begin with, I didn't cut good parts. :)
These Kevlar plates are only $54.95 for the set of six.
1530890630465.png

https://www.lowbrowcustoms.com/brit...-motorcycles-made-in-the-usa-oem-57-4763.html
Steven