C: Clutch Videan Clutch

Robert Watson

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
It looks like I have pretty much worn out a set of plates in my Videan Clutch. the bonded inserts are down to the glue!. I seem to recall that they are from a Kawasaki, anyone know which model?

Nigel Spaxman

VOC Member
Robert I have a clutch that I bought from an MPH add and it works well. It has Kawasaki plates. The ones that came with the clutch were worn out, so I bought a new set. John McDougall had just replaced as set so he gave me the part number. The part number from Barnett was 301-4S-10009 and they were described as K-1000 Kevlar Clutch plates. I got some of those and they didn't fit (they were right for whatever clutch John had). I sent them back and got a set of six 301-45-10008 plates described as K-900K Kevlar clutch plates. They work great. They like to be run wet though. I use just four of the 6 springs the clutch was fitted with with no slip. It can be a bit grabby when the plates get a bit dry. I think the Kawasaki 900 plates were just a little larger in diameter than the Kawasaki 1000 ones. I think the 900 ones are also the same ones used in most Harleys.

Probably you need one or the other of those types.

Robert Watson

VOC Member
Thanks Nigel. I suppose they are in the bike! Did you perchance measure them for dia --- and keep the note??

Lining on mine are down to under 15 thou ------

Robert Watson

VOC Member
I have heard from Steve Hamel, US agent for Neal and he says the 0009 is the one that fits, so I have ordered a set. I guess your MPH bought clutch may have been different.

We shall see in a few days. The 0008 plates seem to fit a lot of Hondas - like the RC51. The other fits a huge numbers of Kawasakis including one I have from 1980.......

Robert Watson

VOC Member
Well it only has about 60 or 70 K miles on it. I think it was climbing the twisty back road to Utia de Borg in the Dolomites (on two occasions) both time two up and pretty loaded that really started the wear! Well that and a couple of 5 1/2 K launches

bmetcalf

VOC Member
If you had kept it standard, you would have the sublime pleasure of replacing the corks, if you could find a set.

TouringGodet

VOC Member
VOC Forum Administrator
VOC Forum Moderator
How many people with standard twin clutches still use corks, and not the Lightning disc? Not me, in the Shadow that is.

vibrac

VOC Member
Robert you supprise me is that there not a rersufacing service in Canada.
Safetec over here will stick new friction surfaces on in a few days I just got my 1935 KSS clutch plates done and that was over plates with oldcork insert holes