H: Hubs, Wheels and Tyres Poor brakes, 1948 HRD rapide.

Bill Thomas

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Morning Eric, You must have found out by now, But if you skimmed the linings on the brake plate, And the axle hole was not in the middle, It would still be no good. My linings only one third were touching, Not a good days racing !. Cheers Bill.

Eric

Active Forum User
VOC Member
Morning Eric, You must have found out by now, But if you skimmed the linings on the brake plate, And the axle hole was not in the middle, It would still be no good. My linings only one third were touching, Not a good days racing !. Cheers Bill.

Hi Bill,
Jeff,took the front wheel off last night, shoe contact was full, perfect.
Which you would expect, with the precision engineered brake setup, the bike now has.
The linings where heavily glazed, the lining material is not up to the job.
Jeff,is sending the shoes back, to be relined in a more suitable material.
What is strange, is that Jeff, used this lining material on many British bikes.
With no problems, same company, same material.
Has something, changed in the material composition.

Eric.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Hi Bill,
Jeff,took the front wheel off last night, shoe contact was full, perfect.
Which you would expect, with the precision engineered brake setup, the bike now has.
The linings where heavily glazed, the lining material is not up to the job.
Jeff,is sending the shoes back, to be relined in a more suitable material.
What is strange, is that Jeff, used this lining material on many British bikes.
With no problems, same company, same material.
Has something, changed in the material composition.

Eric.
It's a bit like Petrol, Nobody seems to know, Since they took out asbestos, Some seem to work and others don't !,I have some very old shoes going into my next bike, It will be interesting to see if they work !. Cheers Bill.

timetraveller

VOC Member
Are these new brake drums The latest drums are machined from cast iron billet, not cast as drums. Whether this can make a differenced I do not know but it might be useful to warn the lining supplier of this.

Eric

Active Forum User
VOC Member
Are these new brake drums The latest drums are machined from cast iron billet, not cast as drums. Whether this can make a differenced I do not know but it might be useful to warn the lining supplier of this.

Hi, These drums, look to be original.

timetraveller

VOC Member
And I have the same on my front ones and once (and only once I hope) I had the rear wheel in the air while panic braking.

Eric

Active Forum User
VOC Member
And I have the same on my front ones and once (and only once I hope) I had the rear wheel in the air while panic braking.

Hi, This why Jeff was disappointed, with the brakes, with all the work done.
He was looking for, thrown over the handlebar braking.
It now appears, to be the brake lining material, at fault.