Misc: Everything Else 'Orrible 'Andlin Comet

Hugo Myatt

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
My BMW was also 'orrible until i changed front tyre
Most unlikely but I have come across a 'rebuilt' Comet for sale with the head bracket fixed the wrong way round and the ufm forced to fit at the rear mounting. It also had the rfm spacer fitted to the wrong side. Fortunately there was no rear chain fitted. I wonder why?!
Just remembered I met a Comet owner whose Comet had the Girdraulic top link fitted upside down. When I pointed this out he never spoke to me again.

Last edited:

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Good one Hugo
I had a wheel built.
Asked for the hub dead centre.
It was not.
Worth putting your finger each side of the Rim to check

rapide049

Non-VOC Member
I've got a Comet (just put together from various sources :confused:) with a weave and a tendency to fall into right handers. I'm just going through the usual suspects wheel/head bearings, bent frame, wheel alignment etc.

Any offers for extra checks?

H
1st thing is to String Line it - falling into RH ers , make sure the Head bearings arent to tight for the weave

Howard

VOC Member
What tyres and pressures have you got. Often the culprit. Are they balanced?
Brand new ribbed front and Speedmaster rear. tyre pressures on my to check list.
Not checked the balance. In 60 years of riding bikes I've never had wheels balanced. Someone once told me my Egli front wheel needed balancing - I spent an hour and about a kilo of lead :) balancing it, and couldn't feel any difference, so I took it off again. Maybe it's just me. Sorry, that's not strictly true, on modern tubeless wheels I have the tyres fitted, and they automatically balance them.

Howard

VOC Member
Most unlikely but I have come across a 'rebuilt' Comet for sale with the head bracket fixed the wrong way round and the ufm forced to fit at the rear mounting. It also had the rfm spacer fitted to the wrong side. Fortunately there was no rear chain fitted. I wonder why?!
Just remembered I met a Comet owner whose Comet had the Girdraulic top link fitted upside down. When I pointed this out he never spoke to me again.
Not that, but to my shame I did fit it the wrong way round the first time, too many twins and not enough Comets :) the owner also gave me a long twin camshaft to fit, another quirk with Vins.